World Junior TT: Ankita Das goes down fighting in quartersNovember 20th, 2011 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Manama (Bahrain), Nov 20 (IANS) Ankita Das managed to take two games off higher-ranked Chinese Ruochen Gu before losing 3-11, 2-11, 11-7, 8-11, 11-9, 12-14 in the quarterfinals of the girls singles at the World Junior Table Tennis Championships that concluded here Sunday. India ended with a bronze in the competition.
World No. 87 Ankita, who had to qualify for the main draw, was the only quarterfinal opponent who stretched the Chinese to six games while the others lost in straight sets in the matches played Saturday night.
The Indian challenge at the world meet also came to an end with Das’ impressive show being the highlight of the tournament besides the maiden bronze by the boys in the team event.
Coach Bhawani Mukherjee was immensely pleased with Ankita’s superb fight against World No. 12 Ruochen. “We know it is difficult to get past the Chinese who are very aggressive. But after being two games down, Ankita showed her capabilities. I am happy she fully utilised the opportunities,” he said.
Das had caused a big upset when she beat seventh-ranked Bernadette Szocs of Romania in the second round. She got the better of World No.59 Hsien-Tzu Cheng in the pre-quarterfinals.
- Qualifier Ankita Das storms into quarters of World Junior TT - Nov 19, 2011
- Harmeet, Soumyajit enter second round in World Junior TT - Nov 18, 2011
- Asian Junior TT: India's U-18 boys win thriller against Chinese Taipei, enter semis - Jul 22, 2011
- Olympics TT: Ankita exits after losing opener - Jul 28, 2012
- India assured of maiden team bronze in World Junior TT - Nov 14, 2011
- Asian Junior Table Tennis: Abhishek assures India of a bronze - Jul 24, 2011
- Asian Games TT: Sharath, Amalraj in singles pre-quarters - Nov 17, 2010
- Saina reaches quarter-finals of Indonesia Open - Jun 14, 2012
- Olympic TT: Inexperienced Ankita crashes out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Asian Junior TT: China win three of four titles, India two bronze - Jul 24, 2011
- Chinese women seal quarterfinal slot at TT world meet - Mar 28, 2012
- Ghosal goes down fighting in Punj Lloyd Squash - Dec 15, 2011
- Harmeet, Mallika enter mixed doubles pre-quarters of World Junior TT - Nov 17, 2011
- Olympic TT: The first-timers have everything to gain (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- India win eight titles in ITTF junior TT event - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: ankita, bahrain, bernadette, capabilities, coach, competition world, girls, highlight, India, indian challenge, junior tt, opponent, quarterfinals, quarters, romania, saturday night, six games, straight sets, table tennis championships, two games