World doubles squash postponedDecember 2nd, 2008 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 2 (IANS) The scheduled World Doubles squash tournament to be held here from Dec 15-21, has been postponed following withdrawal of the Australian team and possibility of other pull-out after the terror strikes in Mumbai.Squash Australia pulled out its players on the basis of travel advisory issued by the Australian government.
Dr. George Mieras, Director, WSF Championships Committee and on-site Tournament Director, said here Tuesday: “I received notification from Squash Australia that the very firm advice from their High Commission is not to travel to Chennai. Australia therefore withdrew their players last night.”
“It seems quite clear to me that other High Commissions are likely to give the same advice and it is not appropriate for me to counter this. Also, more withdrawals would clearly reduce the value of the event to less than proper World Championship status.”
“I therefore consulted with the management committee of the WSF who told me to put first and foremost the safety of all players. My conclusion is that we must not go ahead with the tournament at this time in Chennai. Championships Committee will seek in conjunction with SRFI to find a suitable date to reschedule the tournament during 2009,” he said.
Incidentally, Chennai is to host the first cricket Test between India and England next week.
- Big field for Indian Junior Open squash - Sep 05, 2011
- World squash body probing Pakistan's visa fiasco - Jul 22, 2011
- Inaugural Under-21 Squash World Cup awarded to Chennai - Jun 06, 2011
- WSF to launch online squash game - Oct 10, 2011
- India's Mahesh, Anaka second in world junior squash - Jan 11, 2012
- Malaysian star Nicol in squash Hall of Fame - Nov 11, 2011
- Joshna, Deepika are not aware of any Games allowance - Aug 14, 2010
- National squash championships postponed due to swine flue scare - Aug 12, 2009
- Egypt, England eye title at U-21 Squash World Cup - Jan 31, 2012
- Nicol David for Chennai Open squash - Jan 25, 2010
- Sripathi re-elected president of Squash Rackets Federation - Mar 12, 2011
- Anaka, Kush top seeds - Aug 26, 2012
- Squash among the sports to be considered for 2020 Olympic Programme - Jul 05, 2011
- Three Indians in top 10 in World junior squash rankings - Oct 04, 2011
- Mukul Yadav upsets top seed in Delhi squash - Jul 24, 2012