World Bank to lend $14 bn to India for infrastructure projectsDecember 12th, 2008 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 12 (IANS) The World Bank will provide $14 billion to India over the next three years to facilitate infrastructure development projects and to achieve the Millennium Development Goals, the bank said Friday. The package will be under World Bank Group’s new Country Strategy for India, it said in a statement.
“The World Bank Group is tailoring its assistance to India both to fast-track much-needed infrastructure development and to support the country’s seven poorest states achieve better living standards,” the Bank said.
Part of the loan would be spent in the seven low-income states - Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh - to support the poverty reduction programmes.
“The strategy is designed to boost support to these states, but also not to forget about the poorest people in India’s middle income states,” said World Bank economic advisor Giovanna Prennushi in a statement.
“The World Bank and the government will jointly implement a more rigorous project selection process than in the past,” World Bank acting country director for India Rachid Benmessaouds said.
- India to get 14 bn dollars from WB for infrastructure projects, MDG - Dec 12, 2008
- World Bank strategy for India can improve support for infrastructure and poor States - Dec 13, 2008
- WB approves 400-mn-dollar aid to improve Pakistan's chronically ill education system - Mar 25, 2011
- World Bank to lend $400 mn for Pakistan's education - Mar 26, 2011
- World Bank approves 285-mn-dollar credit for Pak's 'militancy crises affected areas' - Jan 22, 2011
- World Bank to give Pakistan $5.5 bn over next 3 years - Dec 23, 2011
- World Bank to give Pakistan $1 bn - Mar 21, 2012
- $170 mn World Bank loans for Rajasthan, Uttarakhand - Jan 14, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Indian Govt., World Bank sign agreement for watershed project in Uttarakhand - Mar 21, 2011
- World Bank chief Zoellick in India Monday - Mar 25, 2012
- India improves ranking in trade logistics performance (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- India ranked 46th in trade logistics performance - May 16, 2012
- World Bank announces 900 million dollar grant for Pak flood victims - Aug 13, 2010
- Onno Ruhl is World Bank's new country director for India - Sep 10, 2012