World approaching ‘military option’ on Iran: IsraelNovember 5th, 2011 - 6:27 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Nov 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Israeli President Shimon Peres has said he believes a military strike against Iran is a more likely option than a diplomatic solution to the country’s nuclear standoff.
“Intelligence services of various countries understand that time is running out and they are warning their leaders,” Peres said in an interview with Israel’s Channel 2 Friday, adding: “I am not sure that conclusions have not been made.”
“It would seem that Iran is getting closer to having nuclear weapons,” Peres said. World leaders need to “fulfill their responsibility” to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear power “whether that means serious sanctions or whether it means a military operation,” he added.
Peres’ remarks came following Israeli media reports that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was seeking his ministers’ support for a military operation against Iran.
Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has dismissed the reports as “absolutely unacceptable” and “harmful for the country.”
Tensions are mounting against Iran ahead of a crucial report on the country’s nuclear programme to be presented by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) next week.
Western powers suspect Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons under the guise of peaceful energy generation, a charge Tehran denies.
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- Madonna fans oppose bombing Iran before Israel gig - Feb 10, 2012
- Israel calls for more action against Iran - Jun 10, 2010
- Medvedev urges calm over Iran, warns of 'catastrophe' - Nov 09, 2011
- India, Israel sign extradition pact, to forge anti-terror strategy (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- Military strike against Iran would be a mistake: Russia - Nov 07, 2011
- Iran working on atomic bomb: IAEA - Nov 09, 2011
- IAEA demands access to Iranian military site - Sep 10, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: atomic energy agency, avigdor lieberman, benjamin netanyahu, intelligence services, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, israel tel, israeli foreign minister, israeli media, israeli president, military option, military strike, minister benjamin netanyahu, nuclear standoff, nuclear weapons, peaceful energy, prime minister benjamin, ria novosti, shimon peres