Work on power project halted following extortion demandApril 2nd, 2008 - 6:02 pm ICT by admin
Ranchi, April 2 (IANS) Work on a 1,000 MW thermal power plant in Jharkhand has been halted following extortion demands. The power generation project of the Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC)is located at Jainagar block in Koderma district, around 210 km from state capital Ranchi.
Monday, a group of 20 people reached the work site and demanded money from DVC officials and beat them up, the authorities said. A relative of a local politician reportedly led them. The officials informed the district administration about the incident and stopped work on the project.
Following the incident, Jainagar police have registered a case against two persons, Bharat Yadav and Suresh Yadav, and charged them with making extortion demands and attacking officials.
The project has also been facing resistance from people displaced from the site.
“We can address the displacement issue but we can’t meet the extortion demands,” K.K. Singh, regional director of DVC, told IANS.
Reacting to the incident, Koderma Deputy Commissioner Kanaiha Pandey said: “We do not have authentic information on the extortion demands. Yes, the displaced people are demanding compensation and jobs. They can be given jobs only by rotation.”
The power generation project, which is scheduled for completion by 2011 end, will displace around 4,000 people. Union Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde launched the project in March.
- Jharkhand appoints consultant for Rs.1,500 crore transmission line - Feb 01, 2012
- Jharkhand to spend Rs.1,600 crore to lay power lines - Feb 26, 2012
- NTPC begins work on power project in Karnataka - Jun 02, 2012
- Jharkhand assures water supply for DVC power plants - Mar 07, 2010
- BJP motion on Assam violence rejected (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- No power shortage during Commonwealth Games: Shinde - Apr 22, 2010
- Delhi to arrange for extra electricity from Damodar Valley Corp. - May 19, 2011
- Jharkhand to get second 4,000 MW power plant - Jun 17, 2012
- Sonia, Shinde visit violence-hit Assam areas - Aug 13, 2012
- DVC officers' forum alleges vilification campaign - Dec 30, 2009
- India raises social media sites' misuse with Pakistan - Aug 19, 2012
- Online rumours on Assam riots terror handiwork: Shinde (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Exodus: India compiling Pakistan link proof, over 250 websites blocked (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Jharkhand plans to give rural families power-saver CFLs - Jul 25, 2011
- 'Jharkhand criminals posing as Maoists to extort money' - Jun 20, 2012