Work continues to free trapped miners in ChinaJuly 5th, 2011 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 5 (IANS) Rescue work continued for the fourth day Tuesday to free 19 miners trapped in a collapsed coalmine in southern China, Xinhua reported.
The workers were trying to dig through a sludge-filled 25-metre tunnel to reach the miners. By 9.00 a.m. Tuesday, they had already reached the halfway mark, said Su Fuchao, general manager of the mine located in the suburbs of Heshan city in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.
The tunnel is thought to be the closest to the six miners who have the highest chance of survival, said Su. They were initially estimated as being trapped 320 metres underground.
Sludge and toxic gas in the tunnel are hampering the rescue work. “We are trying to clear off a giant rock now, but we can only progress a few centimetres per hour,” Su added.
Three bodies of miners were retrieved, while 49 of the 71 miners working inside the mine managed to escape after the accident Saturday.
Initial investigations indicate that the mine collapsed due to continuous heavy rains.
- Three killed, 19 trapped in China coal mine cave-in - Jul 02, 2011
- Rescue work continues for 19 trapped miners in China - Jul 03, 2011
- Drilling of rescue shaft for Chilean miners delayed - Aug 29, 2010
- 19 workers die in Balochistan coalmine blast, 32 still trapped inside mine - Mar 21, 2011
- Sound raises hope trapped Chinese miners still alive - Aug 29, 2011
- Seven trapped Chinese miners found alive - Nov 19, 2011
- 53 rescuers pulled out of southwest China mine, 5 workers trapped - Jul 29, 2012
- Trapped Chile miner writes poem on his experience - Sep 04, 2010
- First rescue shaft reaches trapped Chilean miners - Sep 17, 2010
- Did Chilean miners smoke pot underground? - Feb 15, 2011
- Bolivian miner trapped in Chile to get new job - Oct 10, 2010
- Chile miners to be evacuated soon - Oct 09, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners celebrate bicentennial - Sep 19, 2010
- Drill mishap delays Chilean mine rescue - Sep 23, 2010
- Wages uncertain for Chile's trapped miners - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,