Women’s panel to meet Nupur TalwarMay 28th, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) A three-member delegation of the National Commission of Women (NCW) will Thursday meet Nupur Talwar, mother of teenaged Aarushi who was murdered in Noida this month, to get her version of the crime for which her dentist husband has been arrested. “We are meeting her tomorrow at her residence. We would take a statement from her about her version of the murder of her daughter and that of the family servant (Hemraj),” NCW member Nirmala Venkatesh told IANS Wednesday.
She said the team would also investigate how police indulged in “character assassination” of 14-year-old Aarushi.
A Class 9 student of Delhi Public School (Noida), Aarushi was found dead May 16 with her throat slit and multiple stab injuries on her face, chest and neck. Their domestic help, 45-year-old Hemraj, who the police initially named as the killer, was found dead on the terrace of the house the next day.
Aarushi’s father Rajesh Talwar was arrested May 23.
Women’s organisations have taken objection to a police official’s remarks at a press briefing that the father had killed her after she objected to his extra-martial ties while she too was “as characterless” as him and was found in an “objectionable position” with Hemraj.
Venkatesh said they would also see whether investigations were going in the right directions.
“So far we are not satisfied with the way the police have handled the murder case. What is condemnable is that they have tarnished the character of a young girl who is no more to protect her name,” she said.
She said following the dentist mother’s statement they will summon the police officials investigating the case.
Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury Tuesday criticised Uttar Pradesh Police for “character assassination” of Aarushi, while a child rights panel sought explanation for their “objectionable” statements.
- Aarushi case closure unfortunate: Krishna Tirath - Dec 30, 2010
- Hemraj's wife moves court saying Talwars killed him - Mar 26, 2011
- Justice will one day prevail, say Rajesh and Nupur Talwar - Jun 07, 2012
- Another night in jail for Nupur Talwar, bail order Wednesday (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Aarushi-Hemraj murders - Timeline - Feb 09, 2011
- Nupur Talwar taken into custody (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Court reserves order on Nupur Talwar's bail - May 01, 2012
- Nupur Talwar points to inconsistencies in CBI probe - May 04, 2012
- Girija Vyas writes to home, law minister for Aarushi case - Dec 31, 2010
- Nupur Talwar jailed, bail hearing resumes Tuesday (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Timeline of Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj killings (To go with 'Four years of a whodunit') - May 14, 2012
- Nupur Talwar taken into custody, CBI opposes bail (Fourth Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Nupur Talwar moves apex court for bail (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Gate of Talwars' flat was locked from outside: Maid - Sep 03, 2012
- Rajesh Talwar to continue on bail (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012