Women’s hostel opened in corrupt official’s seized houseJune 15th, 2012 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 15 (IANS) Sending a strong message to its corrupt public servants, Odisha has converted the confiscated house of a tainted government official into a working women’s hostel, an official said Friday.
The hostel at the two-storied house of retired excise superintendent Jalandhar Pradhan at Amalapada village in the district of Kandhamal, about 200 km from here, started functioning Thursday, district collector R.P. Patil told IANS.
The vigilance sleuths of the police department had raided the houses and office of Pradhan in 1989 and had found him possessing assets worth nearly Rs.9 lakh disproportionate to his known source of income.
Though the case was still pending, a special vigilance court had ordered attachment of his properties early this year. The house which was taken over by the district administration was in the name of his wife Rasabati Pradhan.
“A working women’s hostel and two Anganwadi centres have started functioning at the house. We will soon use another confiscated house of Pradhan located in a nearby village for public purposes,” he added.
The state government has been using the confiscated houses of several corrupt officials including those of Indian Administrative Service (IAS) for public purposes with an aim to root out corruption.
- Another corrupt official's house confiscated in Bihar - Nov 19, 2011
- Bihar opens school in tainted officer's seized house - Sep 08, 2011
- Corrupt IAS officer in Bihar to be prosecuted - Sep 29, 2011
- Another corrupt Bihar official's home to house school - Dec 04, 2011
- Bihar to confiscate BJP lawmaker's assets - Feb 04, 2012
- Tainted Odisha official's farmhouse is now a farmers' centre - Dec 15, 2011
- After house, corrupt Bihar official's land seized - Nov 21, 2011
- To track ill-gotten assets, Bihar ready to cross borders - Feb 16, 2012
- Court orders confiscation of former DGP's assets - Feb 01, 2012
- Bihar to speed up prosecution of corrupt officials - Jan 24, 2011
- Orissa opens dispensary in seized house of corrupt official - Nov 02, 2011
- Odisha activists press for anganwadi wall collapse probe - Jul 16, 2012
- Bihar to check corruption in anganwadi centres - Jun 14, 2011
- BJD leader held for blast in Odisha - Jan 09, 2012
- Bihar cracks whip again, sacks corrupt official - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: aim, assets, bhubaneswar, corrupt official, corrupt officials, corruption, district administration, government official, hostel, indian administrative service, lakh, nearby village, police department, public purposes, public servants, sleuths, state government, superintendent, vigilance, working women