Women’s help cells to come up in Uttar PradeshJuly 5th, 2008 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 5 (IANS) Grappling with incidents of crime against women, the Uttar Pradesh government has decided to set up a women’s help cell in every district of the state, an official said Saturday. “The move intends to check various manifestations of violence against women, particularly dowry harassment and female foeticide,” R.K. Mittal, commissioner social welfare department, told IANS.
The exercise to set up the upcoming help cells would soon be initiated, he added.
The forthcoming women’s help centres will have its members from NGOs, the police and other departments, officials said.
In UP, cases of crime against women are reported particularly from its western districts including Moradabad, Muzaffarnagar and Meerut, officials added.
The average sex ratio of the state is 898 females per 1,000 males. However, the ratio in several districts including Hardoi, Shahjahanpur, Badaun and Etah is extremely poor. In these districts there are less than 850 females per 1,000 males, officials said.
This is believed to be an indicator of increasing incidence of female foeticide in the state. Officials stated this was the reason the government had also ordered a crackdown on ultrasound centres across the state, especially in western Uttar Pradesh.
- Infant girl survives garbage dump fire - Oct 22, 2010
- Woman burnt to death for giving birth to girl child - Aug 12, 2009
- Body of newborn girl found - Mar 27, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh to set up cell to check sex determination tests - Jul 22, 2008
- Haryana to install chips to monitor ultrasound machines - May 18, 2012
- Lucknow Maulana issues fatwa against female foeticide - Apr 20, 2011
- Gujarat's gender ratio improves - Jun 16, 2010
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Fight female foeticide, Mayawati asks lawmakers - Aug 26, 2008
- Another newborn girl killed in Rajasthan - Jan 25, 2011
- Haryana needs women empowerment to stop female foeticide - Nov 27, 2010
- Hundreds of thousands vote in UP (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2012