Women’s commission to probe Mangalore pub assaultJanuary 27th, 2009 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 27 (IANS) Terming it as a “very unfortunate” incident, the National Commission of Women (NCW) Tuesday formed a committee to probe the assault on some young women by members of a self styled moral brigade in a pub in Mangalore last week. “The commission is aghast at the kind of behaviour of the so called moral police with the young women in Mangalore. It was a very unfortunate incident, both illegal and not permissible. We have taken suo motu cognizance of the same and formed a committee,” Girija Vyas, chairperson of NCW told IANS.
“The committee will go to Mangalore either tomorrow (Wednesday) or the day after and meet the victims, who are still in a shock. They will then submit a report on the same,” Vyas added.
The two member committee constitutes a lawyer and a social activist.
On Saturday, a group of 40 activists of the Sri Rama Sena barged into the pub Amnesia - The Lounge in Mangalore. They bashed up a group of young women and men, claiming the women were “violating traditional Indian values”. The girls were punched and their hair pulled by the self-styled moral brigade.
The incident has invited sharp reactions from all quarters. The police have so far arrested 27 of the 40 member group, including Sena state vice-president Prasad Attavara.
- Yeddyurappa answerable for Mangalore attack, says Renuka Chowdhary (Lead) - Jan 26, 2009
- Karnataka government not acting firmly against attackers: CPI-M - Jan 27, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhary to seek poll panel action against Sri Ram Sene - Jan 30, 2009
- Pub culture won't be allowed in Karnataka, says Yeddyurappa - Jan 29, 2009
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Nirmala Vankatesh slams Renuka for NCW sack (Lead) - Mar 02, 2009
- Women commission rejects member's report on Mangalore attack - Feb 06, 2009
- Yeddyurappa answerable for Mangalore attack, says Renuka Chowdhary - Jan 26, 2009
- Rajnath Singh condemns Mangalore incident, defends state government - Jan 27, 2009
- Elements like pub attackers are 'threat to national security': Renuka - Feb 03, 2009
- What is women's commission doing, ask angry activists - Feb 05, 2009
- 'Mangalore attack is also a form of terrorism' - Jan 27, 2009
- Girls unsafe in Uttar Pradesh, say women's panel, activists (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Mangalore incident triggers war of words in women's commission - Feb 03, 2009
- Renuka's ministry blames Mangalore pub attack on administration - Feb 06, 2009