Women’s commission to act against erring officialsJune 12th, 2008 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) The National Commission for Women (NCW) will take action against two senior Haryana officials for not giving the correct sequence of events that led to the death of a woman in mysterious circumstances at a businessman’s home. Suspecting the case to be of murder, instead of suicide as reported by the Haryana police, the commission said it was aghast that Rosila Kujur, who was a Christian, was cremated rather than buried.
“There are various loopholes in the case. We had asked the divisional commissioner and the superintendent of police of Faridabad range to personally explain the sequence of events, as there were some gaps. But they did not turn up,” NCW member Manju S. Hembrom said Thursday.
“The commission’s order is equivalent to a court order and both of them have defied the orders, which is contempt of court. So action will also be taken accordingly,” she said.
She said the NCW has taken “strong offence” to the fact that the administration and the police did not respond to the notices served by it.
Explaining the incident, she said a placement agency in the capital’s Karmapura area had sent the 20-year-old woman to do household work at the residence of jeweller Jagdish Chand Verma, who lived in Palwal.
Hembrom said they had found many contradictions in the statement of Verma, who claimed that Rosila after serving dinner on June 1 committed suicide. He said that she was hired because his wife was confined to bed. But the commission found that she was in fact in good health.
She said that they have asked the police to investigate the matter once again.
Hembrom said they will also investigate how the police cremated the woman’s body though she was a Christian and why the police did not do any investigation when they found the body hanging from the ceiling fan.
Verma also did not let the commission talk to his son, who is 18 years old, she said.
- Geetika was exploited: Women's panel - Aug 21, 2012
- NCW to probe ex-flight attendant's suicide - Aug 05, 2012
- Girl killed in police station was gangraped: Women's panel - Jun 30, 2011
- Court reserves order on Kanda's anticipatory bail plea (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Women's panel denies inaction in Bhanwari Devi, Rajbala cases - Nov 04, 2011
- Suicide notes are not gospel truth: Kanda lawyer - Aug 14, 2012
- Huge cash recovered from Fiza's house - Aug 09, 2012
- Court reserves order on Kanda's anticipatory bail plea (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Will look at every aspect in Geetika case: Women's panel - Aug 07, 2012
- Visit not to pressurise Bengal government: Rights body - Apr 03, 2012
- Three held for Delhi woman's trafficking - Jun 09, 2012
- NCW committee to examine Ruchika molestation case (Lead) - Dec 23, 2009
- Fiza cremated in Chandigarh - Aug 07, 2012
- Had Kanda sexually exploited Geetika? - Aug 18, 2012
- NCW wants CBI probe into assaults on Bhatta-Parsaul women (Second Lead) - May 21, 2011