Women pray along with men at Lucknow mosqueSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 2 (IANS) This Uttar Pradesh capital for the first time is witnessing Muslim women offering prayers along with men at a Sunni mosque.The move to hold prayers jointly comes after the initiative of the All India Women’s Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) members, a board official said.
“The collective prayers will be offered during the fasting month of the holy Ramadan, which started from Tuesday,” said Shaista Amber, chairperson AIMPLB.
“In the evening, you will witness a rare sight, at least for Uttar Pradesh, in which men and women will offer prayers jointly at a mosque in Lal Kuan locality here,” she added.
The AIMPLB alleged that owing to some self-professed religious leaders, women in the state were not allowed to hold prayers in mosques.
“Our initiative is just a first step to a revolution against narrow-minded self-proclaimed religious leaders, who think they are custodians of Islam,” said Amber.
All are equal in the eyes of Allah, so why should there be any kind of discrimination in performing prayers at mosques, she said.
- Muslims in Kerala observe Ramadan fast - Jul 21, 2012
- Muslims across India offer prayers on last Friday of Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- This Hyderabad mosque is more than a place of worship - Aug 12, 2012
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- Shias, Sunnis jointly offer prayers in Lucknow - May 31, 2008
- Muslims in Kerala observe Ramadan fast (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Prayers, sacrifice on Eid-ul-Zuha in Andhra Pradesh - Nov 07, 2011
- Anna supporters hold Roza Iftar in Lucknow - Aug 24, 2011
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- Assam prays for peace this Eid - Aug 20, 2012
- Assam prays for peace this Eid (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Celebrating Eid-ul-Azha with prayers - and a 180 kg goat! - Nov 17, 2010
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Board to regulate madrassa education planned - Aug 09, 2010