Women in Chhattisgarh protest award of liquor shop licencesMarch 3rd, 2009 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 3 (IANS) Hundreds of women laid siege to the collector’s office in Rajnandgaon district of Chhattisgarh Tuesday to protest the district authorities’ move to award a large number of annual contracts for opening liquor shops in villages.
The protesters said that district authorities are allotting several liquor shops in each village in Rajnandgaon district to raise revenue but it would lead to rise in violence against women as males will waste money on consuming liquor.
Lalita Sahu, who led the protest, told reporters at Rajnandgaon town, 75 km from the state capital, that they will soon stage a protest in Raipur too on the issue as even minors are fast becoming addicted to alcohol after authorities allowed opening of liquor shops in villages and also near schools.
- Chhattisgarh plans liquor ban, shuts 263 shops - Jun 21, 2011
- Chhattisgarh government made people drunkards: Congress - Jun 22, 2011
- TDP demands sacking of Andhra ministers - Dec 20, 2011
- Chhattisgarh's liquor sales set new revenue record - Mar 08, 2011
- Villagers migrate following Maoists' order - Feb 26, 2012
- Maoists' shutdown call hits life in Chhattisgarh - Jul 30, 2012
- Raman writes to Krishna to rescue engineer from pirates - Jun 16, 2012
- Andhra earns nearly Rs.7,000 cr from liquor shops sale - Jun 08, 2010
- Tiger terrorises Chhattisgarh's forest residents - Sep 18, 2011
- Hooch kills 19 in Odisha (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Fourth Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- After tigress, now leopard terrorises Chhattisgarh residents - Oct 15, 2011
- Maoists kill cop, civilian in Chhattisgarh - Jun 24, 2012
- Mob hacks cop to death for killing civilians (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
- Congress calls for Chhattisgarh shutdown to protest Maoist attack - Jul 13, 2009