Women clash with police at relief camp in Orissa, several hurtSeptember 4th, 2008 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 4 (IANS) Several people sustained serious injuries as a mob of women clashed with the police at a relief camp in Orissa’s Kandhamal district Thursday, officials said. The women forcefully entered the relief camp, alleging that despite being riot victims, the administration was unconcerned about them because they were Hindus, the police said.
The women, belonging mostly to tribal areas, were demanding food and lifting of prohibitory orders banning assembly of more than five people in a place.
“They rushed with lathis (sticks) and axes and forcibly entered the relief camp” state inspector general of police Pradeep Kapur told IANS.
“Police lathicharged them and chased them away after they turned violent and started pelting stones” Kapur said.
“Two people have sustained injuries”, he added.
Unofficial sources, however, put the number of injured at 38 with at least six of them believed to be in serious condition.
Communal violence has killed at least 16 people and affected thousands in Orissa since Aug 23.
The violence erupted after Swami Lakshmanananda Saraswati of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and four others were killed by unidentified gunmen at his ashram in Kandhamal Aug 23.
Police and paramilitary forces have been deployed in 12 of the 30 districts of the state.
Curfew has been clamped in all major towns in Kandhamal district.
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Rights panel concerned over farmers' suicides in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- EU team meets Kandhamal riot victims - Feb 04, 2010
- After riots, girls fall prey to sex trade in Kandhamal - Mar 22, 2012
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- EU team meets Kandhamal riot victims (Lead) - Feb 04, 2010
- Pravin Togadia prevented from entering Kandhamal - Mar 20, 2010
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
- Maoists blow up ambulance, five killed (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- VHP, Bajrang Dal activists protest ban on Togadia's visit to Kandhamal - Mar 20, 2010
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011