Women and men sign up for Bhopal SlutwalkJuly 8th, 2011 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, July 8 (IANS) Over 4,560 and counting. By Friday, all these people had signed up on Facebook for “Besharmi morcha”, a version of the global Slutwalk, to stand up against the notion that a way a woman dresses can be an excuse for rape or harassment.
The march has been called by the law students July 10 and the enthusiastic response - from women as well as men - is showing on the Facebook page.
“There is a spurt in crime against women in Madhya Pradesh and in Bhopal too. And here also the mentality of officials is same as was reported in Toronto (Canada). So we decided to hold Besharmi Morcha here,” Radhika Shingwekar, who initiated the move along with another law student, Swati Singh Baghel, told IANS.
The first Slutwalk was held in Toronto April 3 and a chapter was organised in Delhi in June. The Slutwalk movement has taken off internationally after a Toronto police officer reportedly said women should stop dressing like “sluts” to avoid being raped or victimized and slutwalks have also been held in places like Chicago and London.
Changing the name from Slutwalk to Besharmi Morcha in Bhopal, Radhika says not only will it bring a local flavour but will also not offend people.
“With this walk, we want to mobilise the youth in Bhopal. In India, most rape cases are not reported because of the social stigma attached to it, we ought to do something about it,” she said.
However, it is not necessary to wear revealing clothes for the Besharmi Morcha.
“Many hands, many hearts and many minds generally contribute to anyone’s notable achievement. Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful people can change the world,” Nandita Chatterjee commented on the proposed march.
Many men have also expressed a wish to participate in the event.
- Debate on gender inequality sets mood for Slut Walk - Jul 10, 2011
- 'Slut Walk' in Delhi to fight sexual violence - Jun 19, 2011
- 'Slut walk' protests begin in Australia - May 28, 2011
- Thousands do SlutWalk in Toronto to protest police officer's remark - Apr 04, 2011
- Poonam Pandey to lead slutwalk in Mumbai - Jul 31, 2011
- Delhi all set for its first Slutwalk - Jul 30, 2011
- Now Kolkata joins the 'slutwalk' movement - May 24, 2012
- Delhi hosts Slut Walk, flays sexual violence (With Images) - Jul 31, 2011
- Delhi slutwalk grabs headlines in Canada - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi to host 'Slut Walk' Sunday - Jul 29, 2011
- Women denounce gender violence in Peru 'SlutWalk' - Nov 13, 2011
- Gaiety, fanfare as India celebrates International Women's Day (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2011
- Noida police draw flak for exposing rape victim (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sexual harassment row at Yale University - Apr 09, 2011
- 'Betis' in Madhya Pradhesh do not feel safe - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: dresses, enthusiastic response, excuse, facebook, harassment, hearts, law students, local flavour, many men, mentality, notion, police officer, rape cases, revealing clothes, small group, social stigma, spurt, toronto canada, toronto police, women and men