Women activists try to enter Planning Commission officeMarch 4th, 2008 - 11:49 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 4 (IANS) A group of women activists belonging to a Left party Tuesday made an abortive attempt to barge into the premises of the Planning Commission. They were agitating against the alleged flaws in the government’s yardstick to identify people living below the poverty line (BPL) and above poverty line (APL), and how much food grain they should get from the public distribution system (PDS).
The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Rajya Sabha member Brinda Karat and former Lok Sabha member Subhashini Ali led the activists. The two leaders are associated with the Akhil Bharatiya Janavadi Mahila Samiti (ABJMS) as well.
They submitted a memorandum to Planning Commission member Abhijit Sen.
The police said around 3,000 women demonstrated Tuesday afternoon at Jantar Mantar under the banner of the ABJMS.
“We had deployed women police at the Planning Commission,” assistant commissioner of police Gurdeep Singh said, adding, “We stopped the women from trying to force their way inside on the gate of the Planning Commission.” He denied any breach in the security.
“No complaint in this regard has been filed with us and nobody has been detained or arrested,” he added.
- Left seeks universal public distribution system - Jul 26, 2012
- Activists seek changes in food security bill - Apr 17, 2010
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Leakages to be plugged before food security implemented - Jun 10, 2012
- No poverty cap for food allocation: Montek - Oct 03, 2011
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Poor want reformed PDS, not cash transfers - Aug 11, 2011
- Not understating poverty, no cap for food allocation: Montek (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Participation low, spirits high at Team Anna fast - Jul 25, 2012
- Rice at Rs.2 a kg for poor in Tripura: Sarkar - Jul 12, 2012
- 'Food security bill can be global example' - Jul 17, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- No protest curbs at Jantar Mantar, India Gate now (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Government exporting food, keeping people hungry: Brinda Karat - Aug 01, 2012
- CPI-M denounces Food Security Bill - Dec 16, 2011