Women achievers felicitated in DelhiDecember 7th, 2010 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 7 (IANS) Krishna Poonia, India’s first woman to win a gold medal at Commonwealth Games, scientist Charusita Chakravarty and Sudha Rani Pandey, the first woman vice-chancellor of the Uttarakhand Sanskrit University, were honoured with the Stree Shakti awards here Tuesday.
The function was held at the residence of union Tourism and Urban Poverty Alleviation Minister Kumari Selja.
Krishna Poonia was conferred the Dayawati Modi Stree Shakti Award while Charusita Chakravarty was presented with the Stree Shakti Science Award. Sudha Rani Pandey was honoured with the Vidushi Vidyottama Stree Shakti Samman.
“I am honoured to felicitate the women achievers. Krishna Poonia has the guts, she can win any challenge. I am glad that the Stree Shakti has identified a woman scientist. Many times, women scientists are not recognised,” Kumari Selja said.
The Dayawati Modi Shakti Samman was instituted in 1998 by Stree Shakti, a non-profit organisation founded by arts and culture activist Rekha Modi. It carries a purse of Rs.51,000.
Past recipients include painter Anjolie Ela Menon, Justice Ruma Pal, theatre personality Usha Ganguly, journalist Usha Rai, movie director Revathy and dancer Madhvi Mudgal.
- Indian women balancing divine feminine with modernity - Dec 08, 2010
- Dalai Lama honoured - Dec 02, 2011
- Karan Singh to get award on art, culture - Nov 13, 2010
- I will be happy if athletes improve their records: Bahadur singh - Jul 31, 2012
- Saluting ordinary women doing extraordinary work on Women's Day - Mar 08, 2011
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- Women achievers honoured with CARE awards - Mar 07, 2011
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Eleven scientists to get Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award - Sep 26, 2009
- Dev Anand conferred Rashtriya Kishore Kumar Samman - Oct 14, 2011
- Usha Uthup, Kajol, Gagan Narang among 84 for Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
- Olympic athletics: Sudha Singh fails to impress - Aug 04, 2012
- Kusum Ansal foundation awards new Hindi, Tamil authors - Jul 11, 2012
- Laxman, Narang, Sushil conferred Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
- Need to improve dignity of labour: Ramesh - Apr 04, 2012