Woman suicide bomber kills 40, mainly Iranians, in Baghdad (lead)January 4th, 2009 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Jan 4 (DPA) A suicide bomb blast Sunday killed at least 40 people and wounded 65 in the Kadhimiya area of northern Baghdad, with most of the victims Iranian pilgrims, the Voices of Iraq news agency reported, citing a security official.The agency said the attack was carried out by a woman suicide bomber. The woman wearing an explosives belt blew herself up at a joint army-police checkpoint in the Kadhimiya area, the official told the agency.
According to the official, most of the casualties were Iranian pilgrims who were among the many foreigners who had come to commemorate the Shia festival of Ashoura at the shrine of Imam Musa al-Kadhim, in the Baghdad district bearing his name.
The attacker had seemingly intended to detonate the explosives amid the crowds at the shrine.
The 10-day ritual of Ashoura culminates with the mourning the martyrdom of Imam Hussein Ibn Ali at the battle of Karbala.
Shia pilgrims have been a repeated target of extremist Sunni Muslim groups operating in Iraq, during their annual celebrations of religious events.
US and Iraqi authorities say Al Qaeda militants have increasingly relied on women to conduct suicide attacks, as they can better evade security searches and their clothing helps them to conceal explosive belts and vests.
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- Iraq suicide blast toll rises to 33 - Feb 13, 2011
- 54 Shias killed in Baghdad bombings (Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Suicide bombing kills 37 in Iraq - Jan 04, 2009
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 32 killed, 68 injured in Baghdad car bombings (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- 20 pilgrims killed in Baghdad bombings - Jun 16, 2012
- Three die, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Dec 12, 2010
- Six killed, 19 injured in Iraq attacks - Jul 07, 2010
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Nine killed, 123 injured in suicide attacks in Iraq (Second Lead) - May 14, 2010
- Car bomb kills 10, wounds 38 in Iraqi city of Karbala - Nov 08, 2010
- 27 killed, 75 injured in Iraq bombings (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 05, 2010
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012