Woman sentenced to 15 years in jail in dog attack caseSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Sep 23 (DPA) A woman whose two dogs attacked and killed her neighbour in the hallway of their San Francisco apartment building seven years ago was sentenced to 15 years in prison.Superior Court Judge Charlotte Woolard said Monday that Majorie Knoller, 53, had not bothered to put a muzzle on her aggressive Presa Canario-mastiff-mixed dogs before taking them out of her apartment and did not call for help or retrieve a weapon while the animals were mauling 33-year-old Diane Whipple for at least 10 minutes, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.
In 2002, a California jury found Knoller guilty of second-degree murder, but a judge reversed the decision and found her guilty of manslaughter and sentenced her to a four-year jail sentence.
She spent three years behind bars before being paroled.
Last year, the state Supreme Court ruled that the judge had used the wrong legal standard in overturning the murder verdict. Woolard reinstated the jury’s murder verdict at a hearing last month.
Knoller’s lawyer said he would appeal the murder conviction.
- Rapper 'C-Murder' convicted of shooting a fan - Aug 12, 2009
- Ex-naval officer found guilty of TV executive's killing - Jun 30, 2011
- Amanda Knox trying to switch back to the English language - Oct 06, 2011
- I did not kill Kercher: Knox tells court - Oct 03, 2011
- Australian found guilty of killing three Indian siblings - Jul 03, 2012
- Rapper Corey Miller jailed for life - Aug 12, 2009
- Oz 'cannibal' sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering flatmate - Apr 04, 2011
- Buffalo jury convicts NY television executive for wife's 2009 beheading - Feb 08, 2011
- Texas man gets death penalty for killing three children - Jul 30, 2010
- Meredith Kercher's family is upset at the way the trial is shaping up - Oct 04, 2011
- Amanda Knox murder trial verdict to be out soon - Oct 03, 2011
- Georgian mother gets probation in son's jaywalking death case - Jul 27, 2011
- Woman Found Guilty Of Murdering Rival During Skydiving - Oct 21, 2010
- Ex-navy man, starlet sentenced for TV executive's murder (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Rachel Wade Found Guilty Of Second Degree Murder, Sentenced To 27 Years In Prison - Sep 04, 2010