Woman raped, killed in GoaDecember 27th, 2008 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 27 (IANS) A 55-year-old woman was raped and killed along the Arambol beach in Goa, a police officer said Saturday.The woman, identified as a local villager, was found naked by the fishermen returning from the sea in early hours of Friday. She used to sell flowers at the beach.
The fisherman informed the police about the killing.
“We had sent the body for post mortem. The report which arrived late yesterday (Friday) evening confirmed rape,” Police Sub-Inspector Sarvesh Narvekar told IANS.
The incident took place despite repeated assurances of round the clock patrolling by armed personnel. Security was beefed up in Goa’s 105 km long coastline following intelligence inputs of suspected terror strikes.
The killing has again sparked speculation over the safety of women in Goa. In February, 15-year-old Scarlett Keeling was found raped and killed at Anjuna beach.
- 'Police officers being hounded for exposing Goa drug trade' - Feb 01, 2011
- Scarlett's body bore scars and abrasions, recalls cop - Apr 09, 2010
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
- Goa Police to probe if British woman was murdered - Jul 07, 2012
- Scarlett rape, murder trial to begin - Mar 19, 2010
- 'Scarlett threatened by local few weeks before death' - Jul 28, 2010
- Fiona deposes in Goa court; says police suppressed facts - Jul 30, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling murder retold on 'Anjuna Beach' - Jul 02, 2011
- Scarlett Keeling's killers 'gave her drugs', claims her mother - Aug 03, 2010
- Crimes against tourists in focus at Goa tourism roadshow - Mar 05, 2010
- Ban rave parties, says Goa woman legislator - Jul 22, 2010
- Scarlett trial scarring Goa's image in Britain: Tourism body - Apr 14, 2010
- Delay in taking cop's statement in Scarlet case questioned - Apr 07, 2010
- Scarlett case: Mother says trial could help other tourist victims seek justice - Jul 31, 2010
- Scarlett's diary crucial pages missing: Defence lawyer - Aug 27, 2010