Woman officer leads IAF contingentJanuary 26th, 2012 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) History was made Thursday when Flight Lt Sneha Shekhawat, a woman Indian Air Force (IAF) officer, led a contingent of 144 airmen at the 63rd Republic Day parade down the Rajpath.
A woman pilot who flies non-combat transport planes like the Avro, Shekhawat was joined by three other women officers to lead the marching contingent down the national capital’s main thoroughfare.
This is the first time a woman officer led the IAF contingent at the Republic Day parade.
The other women officers are Flying Officer A. Chaudhary, who flies helicopters such as Chetak and Cheetah and Flying Officer Pooja Negi and Flying Officer Hena Pore, both from the accounts branch.
Shekhawat, from Sikar in Rajasthan, is at present posted with the IAF squadron at Hindon in Ghaziabad, told IANS ahead of the parade that it was a matter of pride and honour to lead the IAF contingent.
This is in line with the IAF policy of providing greater opportunities for women in the force, IAF officers said.
- Agni-IV, C-130J, IAF woman officer among firsts at R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian Air Force bags R-Day parade award - Jan 28, 2012
- India celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- IAF's women skydivers jump to fame - Oct 08, 2011
- IAF, ITBP adjudged best contingents at Republic Day parade - Jan 30, 2011
- 28-aircraft flypast at Republic Day parade - Jan 21, 2011
- More IAF climbers summit Everest (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Indigenous aircraft to be main draw at Republic Day parade - Jan 23, 2011
- IAF Sukhoi squadron gets President's Standard - Mar 06, 2012
- High alert ahead of Republic Day Parade 2010 - Jan 23, 2010
- IAF flies commando plane fleet, displays operational fitness - Jun 19, 2012
- 171 officers commissioned into Indian Air Force - Dec 18, 2010
- IAF to showcase network centric operations on Republic Day - Jan 21, 2011
- Massive search for MiG-29 wreckage on - Oct 26, 2011
- C-130J makes debut at Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012