Woman offers tongue to deity in Uttar PradeshFebruary 10th, 2009 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 10 (IANS) A childless 27-year-old woman cut off her tongue in an Uttar Pradesh temple and offered it to the deity for getting a son, the police said Tuesday.
Meena Devi Monday evening visited the Bholebaba Siddheshwar Nath temple in Lahar Marg locality in Sitapur district, 90 km from here, and offered her tongue to the deity.
“She cut off her tongue with a sharp razor and offered it to the Shivling (the symbolic idol of Lord Shiva) at the temple,” police inspector Santosh Dwivedi told IANS on telephone.
He said some devotees later rushed Devi to a hospital.
According to police, Devi’s husband Chandra Prakash said his wife cut off her tongue and offered it to the deity as she wanted to “get blessed with a child”.
The couple is childless even after seven years of marriage.
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Man cuts off tongue before deity to have son - Jan 12, 2010
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Over 200 deities to join Himachal's Mahashivratri! - Feb 20, 2012
- Man cuts tongue to get a job - Sep 22, 2009
- Seventy injured in annual bloody sport in Andhra - Oct 07, 2011
- One lakh devotees at Odisha's Lingaraj temple - Feb 20, 2012
- A congregation of deities in Himachal - Feb 27, 2011
- Saying it with stones at an Uttar Pradesh temple - Jul 04, 2010
- Devotees throng Orissa temples on Shivratri - Mar 02, 2011
- J-K locals find antique idols inside caves - May 06, 2010
- Woman killed, 30 devotees injured in accident - Sep 11, 2010
- Silence please! The gods are meditating in Himachal villlage - Jan 28, 2012
- Devotees begins annual pilgrimage to Manimahesh Lake in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 04, 2010
- Thousands of devotees throng Himachal temples - Sep 28, 2011