Woman nabbed for killing mother-in-lawMarch 17th, 2012 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, March 17 (IANS) A woman was arrested here for killing her mother-in-law five days ago for objecting to her working as an insurance agent, police said Saturday.
Shweta Shelarka, 32, killed her mother-in-law Shobha Laxmikant Shelarka, 62, Monday and then attempted to pass it off as a robbery-cum-murder, said Deputy Commissioner of Police Dnyaneshwar Phadtare.
The incident took place in Sarita Apartments in the Mayur Colony neighbourhood of Kothrud suburb of Pune around 7.30 p.m. when the victim’s husband and son were away at work, he said.
According to police, Shweta made her mother-in-law sit on a chair on the pretext of applying make-up on her and then strangled her.
Later, she also made some cuts on the body with a knife to make it appear like an attack.
She then took a bath, changed her dress and went to fetch her four-year-old daughter who was playing outside.
On returning, she raised on alarm and claimed that she found the apartment door open and her mother-in-law lying dead in a pool of blood. She informed her neighbours who called police.
Police found some cash and jewellery missing from the apartment and it was initially considered as a robbery-cum-murder.
Some building residents claimed having seen two unidentified people fleeing from the scene of the crime on a two-wheeler.
Phadtare said that though prima facie it appeared to be a robbery, they suspected the involvement of an insider behind the murder.
Interrogation of the accused revealed that she wanted to work as an insurance agent but her mother-in-law had opposed it, prompting her to plot the murder, he added.
- Mother of Rajesh Talwar's lawyer murdered - Mar 08, 2011
- Woman kills mother-in-law with paramour's help - Aug 18, 2012
- Woman arrested for killing mother-in-law - Aug 10, 2010
- Woman kills mother-in-law, held - Aug 25, 2011
- Man kills wife and three children, then himself - Sep 06, 2012
- Chinese woman kills mother-in-law, toddler - Sep 12, 2012
- Senior citizen murdered inside her Delhi flat - Jan 10, 2012
- Taliban kill woman accused of murdering mother-in-law in Afghanistan - Oct 17, 2010
- No more films for Sonali after 'Once Upon...' - Aug 22, 2012
- Dowry death: Victim's brothers-in-law get anticipatory bail - Jun 22, 2012
- BJP leader's sister drugged, left to die by kin - Aug 30, 2011
- Dowry death: Victim's mother-in-law told to surrender - Jun 20, 2012
- 75-year-old woman's death was natural: Chandigarh Police - Jan 07, 2011
- Man held for filming mother-in-law undress - Nov 29, 2011
- Noida woman jumps to death after fight with lover - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: commissioner of police, deputy commissioner, dnyaneshwar, insurance agent, interrogation, jewellery, laxmikant, march 17, mother in law, neighbourhood, neighbours, police police, pool of blood, pretext, robbery, scene of the crime, shweta, suburb, two wheeler, unidentified people