Woman molested for spurning Trinamool, tries suicideApril 18th, 2012 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 18 (IANS) A woman in West Bengal attempted suicide after she was molested and her family members were beaten up by a group of people for her refusal to join the Trinamool Congress, police said Wednesday.
“We have received a complaint by Toton Das, who has alleged that his mother was molested by a group of people who also assaulted his other family members for refusal to join the Trinamool Congress. The woman later attempted suicide by consuming poison,” said the duty officer of Marishda police station in East Midnapore district.
The incident took place April 15 and the police complaint was given Tuesday. At least 21 people were named in the complaint by Das, a resident of Kaniadighi near Contai, about 150 km from Kolkata.
Das alleged police were dragging their feet on the case.
“It has been more than 24 hours since I made the complaint but there has been no action. Those who assaulted my family are roaming freely while my father had to flee the village,” said Das.
“A group of people asked me to gather all the women of the village for a Trinamool Congress meeting. When I refused, they assaulted me and my family and tore away my clothes,” said Das’ mother, adding that the goons demanded Rs.50,000 from her because she was a Communist Party of India-Marxist supporter.
The woman undergoing treatment in Contai sub-divisional hospital said her family had been targeted because a few days back it had demolished a hooch den.
“My sons and husband along with others had earlier destroyed a hooch den. After this, the goons started targeting us and would often demand money,” said the woman.
- Mamata's secretariat official evading arrest: CPI-M - Apr 20, 2012
- Four booked for Odisha gangrape after mounting pressure - Jan 10, 2012
- Congress leader's house vandalised; Trinamool blamed - Jun 12, 2012
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Odisha gangrape: One suspect arrested (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- One sent to jail for assaulting Bengal scientist, daughter - Apr 19, 2012
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- Trinamool MP accuses party leaders of influencing police - Jul 12, 2011
- Four Trinamool workers arrested after professor's complaint - Apr 14, 2012
- Three CPI-M offices torched in West Bengal - Sep 07, 2010
- Two killed in Bengal, Trinamool says victims were cadres - Feb 17, 2011
- Four 'Trinamool workers' held for thrashing professor (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Mumbai man held for molesting daughter - May 20, 2012
- Women loses foetus in assault, CPI-M blames Trinamool - Nov 20, 2011
- Now, Mamata government targets woman professor? (West Bengal Newsletter) - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: clothes, communist party of india, contai, family members, few days, goons, hooch, midnapore district, money, poison, police complaint, police station, rs 50, suicide, toton, trinamool congress, undergoing treatment, west bengal