Woman Maoist killed in gunbattle in Orissa’s KandhamalMarch 24th, 2009 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 24 (IANS) A woman Maoist rebel was Tuesday killed by security forces in a gunbattle in Orissa’s Kandhamal district, an official said.
Getting information that a group of Maoists had gathered in the forest near Daringbadi area of the district for a meeting, police and special operations group personnel raided the area.
There was an exchange of fire after the rebels attacked the security forces and a woman Maoist was killed, district collector Krishan Kumar told IANS.
A male Maoist rebel was also arrested from the spot, he said, adding two weapons were also seized.
Kandhamal, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread communal violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides at his ashram Aug 23.
While the police accused Maoists for that killing, leaders of Hindu organisations blamed Christians. At least 38 people were killed in the state and more than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked by rampaging mobs even though Maoists claimed responsibility for the murder.
Maoists had also gunned down a Hindu leader March 18 in the same district.
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Maoists blow up ambulance, five killed (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Seventeen acquitted in a Kandhamal riot case - Apr 17, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010