Woman kills two children, self in TripuraJuly 29th, 2008 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 29 (IANS) A woman poisoned her two teenaged children and then killed herself in Tripura, which is witnessing an increase in the number of suicides, police said Tuesday. Laxmi Sarkar, 27, killed her two children and then committed suicide late Monday in Kalyanpur in west Tripura, a police spokesman said. She reportedly took the extreme step due to abject poverty.
In separate incidents, two middle-aged women also committed suicide in west Tripura allegedly due to poverty, police said.
On July 21, four sisters killed themselves by consuming poison in north Tripura after a quarrel with their mother over educational issues.
“On an average, 1,050 people, majority of them women, commit suicide in Tripura every year,” a government report said.
The Tripura Assembly recently expressed serious concern at the increasing rate of suicides in the State.
“The state government decided to seek opinions from experts to determine the exact cause for the rise of suicides,” Chief Minister Manik Sarkar told the Tripura assembly.
“We have discussed the matter with experts of the psychology department of Tripura University for a detailed report and, if needed, we may seek opinion from reputed experts outside,” he added.
- Tripura journalists protest police baton assault - Jul 19, 2011
- Trooper kills wife, baby, himself - Jul 14, 2009
- Tripura to attach properties of absconding offenders - Mar 14, 2011
- Three militants arrested in Tripura - Jun 18, 2012
- CPI-M meet on president poll Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Pregnant woman kills self, two children - Aug 20, 2010
- Onus on Mizoram to take back tribal refugees: Tripura - Feb 26, 2012
- Opposition disrupts Tripura assembly over rape incident - Mar 22, 2012
- Tripura militants recruiting youth, warns intelligence - Jun 21, 2012
- Tripura employees to get paid paternity leave - Jun 05, 2012
- Tripura to ask CBI to probe rape, death of tribal leader - Mar 07, 2011
- AMRI fire Tripura victim's body found after 12 days - Dec 22, 2011
- Crucial assembly by-poll in Tripura Tuesday - Jun 11, 2012
- Communist movement won't fail in India: Prakash Karat - Jan 29, 2012
- UPA neglecting states ruled by opposition: Tripura minister - Oct 12, 2011