Woman killed in Rajasthan stampedeJune 30th, 2012 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, June 30 (IANS) A 55-year-old woman was killed in a stampede while about a dozen others sustained bullet injuries in Rajasthan’s Bharatpur district Saturday after two groups of villagers clashed during a religious procession, police said.
Kamal Devi died in the incident that took place in Udhyog Nagar area of the district, some 180 km from Jaipur. Police said that the two groups in the village were at loggerheads over an old rivalry.
Around two dozen people have been detained.
“A new temple was being built by one of the two groups. A procession with idols which were to be established in the temple was being taken out. The clash took place when the procession was passing by the houses of people belonging to the opposite group,” said the officer.
“The clash started with stone hurling, however, soon some people from both the sides took out guns and started firing. It led to a stampede in which Kamal Devi was killed,” said the officer.
Kamal Devi, who belonged to the same village, was participating in the religious procession. “About a dozen other sustained bullet injuries and were admitted to a hospital in Bharatpur,” said the officer.
- Two women killed, many injured in firing in Bharatpur - Jul 01, 2012
- Ex-royal of Rajasthan, supporters fired at - Sep 01, 2011
- STF deployed in Rajasthan village - Feb 17, 2011
- Five killed in armed clash in Rajasthan - Sep 15, 2011
- Policemen removed for negligence in Rajasthan clash - Sep 23, 2011
- Four schoolkids, helper killed as bus overturns in Rajasthan - Jul 24, 2012
- Two killed in villagers-police clash in Orissa - Jul 15, 2011
- CBI quizzes two Rajasthan legislators on Bharatpur riots - Aug 04, 2012
- Stampedes at religious places in over a decade - Nov 08, 2011
- 35 injured in Rajasthan clash - Jan 15, 2012
- Police firing did not kill anyone in Bharatpur: Official - Sep 19, 2011
- Seven killed in Rajasthan building collapses - Jun 05, 2012
- Seventy injured in annual bloody sport in Andhra - Oct 07, 2011
- Rajasthan town remains tense after clash, curfew on - Aug 17, 2012
- Rajasthan cops beaten up by villagers demanding power - Aug 06, 2012