Woman income tax official arrested for taking bribeJanuary 7th, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) An assistant commissioner of income tax in Bangalore has been arrested for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs.200,000, a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) statement said here Wednesday. An income tax assessee had lodged a complaint with the CBI that the accused, K. Chandrika, had demanded a bribe of Rs.1 million for accepting income tax returns filed for the financial year 2005-06.
The CBI then registered a case under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 and laid a trap.
“Chandrika agreed to accept the bribe of Rs.200,000 as first instalment and the remaining payment of Rs.800,000 on a subsequent date. She was caught while demanding and accepting a bribe from the complainant in the presence of independent witnesses,” said the CBI statement.
Chandrika belongs to the 2004 batch of the Indian Revenue Service.
The CBI also seized a large number of documents pertaining to the income tax returns filed by the complainant and related transactions during searches at the office and the residential premises of the accused in Bangalore.
- IT commissioner nabbed taking Rs.2 lakh bribe - Aug 29, 2011
- Income Tax commissioner in Mumbai nabbed for graft - Jul 09, 2011
- Mumbai income tax commissioner, two others held for graft - Jul 09, 2011
- CBI arrests senior Revenue Intelligence official for graft - Mar 07, 2012
- Income Tax official gets 4 years jail for bribery - Feb 01, 2012
- 2G: Court defers hearing on two accused's plea till Jan 10 - Dec 15, 2011
- Junior engineer, worker held for seeking bribe - Feb 02, 2012
- Arrested tax official has assets worth crores - Sep 07, 2011
- 926 bank branches to accept advance income tax - Aug 22, 2012
- High court rejects IT department's plea against Nirma (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Fake I-T refunds racket cracked - Apr 16, 2012
- Court frames charges against former narcotics bureau official - Nov 23, 2010
- Yeddyurappa, kin get anticipatory bail in bribery case (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Kanimozhi moves high court seeking quashing of 2G charges - Mar 23, 2012
- CBI files graft case against BEML chairman, consultant (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012