Woman incarcerated by family for 8 yearsJuly 10th, 2008 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 10 (IANS) Madhu Malhotra, a woman in her 30s, looked several decades older when the police Wednesday freed her from an eight-year-long incarceration in a cell-type room at her parents’ home here. She has been admitted to the Government Psychiatric Hospital where her condition was described as “pathetic”. The woman, who looked dishevelled and dazed with deep wrinkles on her face, was confined by her family after her husband deserted her after she became mentally ill. Spending a long period in darkness has also affected Madhu’s sight. She was given food and only allowed to attend to calls of nature.
Police raided her parent’s house after neighbours informed them about the plight of the woman. However, they could not explain why they themselves had kept mum for years about Madhu’s illegal confinement.
Neighbours said Madhu, who was married to Sandeep Malhotra of Pathankot, Punjab, about 13 years ago, developed psychological problems after she gave birth to a son. Sandeep took away their son Rahul with him after her condition worsened.
“Instead of providing her treatment, Sandeep dropped off Madhu at her parents’ home in Jammu,” one of the neighbours, who did not want to be named, told media persons.
Her parents cared for her for some time but then left her to her fate in a small room, instead of taking her to a hospital.
Senior Superintendent of Police, Jammu, Alok Kumar said the police have registered a case of illegal confinement.
- Student hangs herself over obscene Facebook comments - Aug 16, 2012
- Police take Agra woman back to husband in Kerala - Nov 01, 2010
- Court declines man's plea on marriage with lover - Jun 25, 2012
- Family quarrels lead to killings, attempted murder in Maharashtra - Jun 29, 2012
- Delhi woman strangled to death inside her room - May 25, 2012
- One held for killing woman in front of her son - Sep 12, 2012
- Rajasthan woman sells son for Rs.40,000, held - Aug 09, 2012
- Police rescue locked up NRI woman - Oct 16, 2011
- No crazy diets for Cruz - Jun 26, 2012
- Rejected by dance reality shows, 9-year-old hangs self - Feb 12, 2011
- 28 Ladakhi kids rescued from NGO, will fly home Monday (Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Leh children rescued, handed over to parents - Oct 24, 2010
- Chinese airline employee alleges rape by senior - May 10, 2012
- Doctor molests minor during check-up, held - Nov 29, 2011
- Court sends cop to jail, says men in uniform flouting law - Feb 09, 2012