Woman detained in Delhi businessman’s murderApril 9th, 2008 - 12:25 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 8 (IANS) In a twist to the murder of city-based businessman Arun Gupta, Delhi Police Tuesday detained a woman who was allegedly into an intimate relationship with him. “We have detained a woman from Gurgaon who shared close relations with the deceased, Arun Gupta, and she is being questioned,” a senior Delhi Police official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
When asked whether Gupta, 47, was killed due to his extramarital relationship, the official said: “We can’t rule out the possibility and are investigating the case with a fresh approach.”
Gupta was shot dead Monday morning by three unidentified motorcycle-borne assailants barely a few metres from his home in Kalkaji, south Delhi, while on his way to his electronic goods shop in Bhagirath Palace in Old Delhi.
The assailants waylaid Gupta’s WagonR car near a pastry shop flagging him to roll down his car window. As soon as he did so, one of the assailants got down from the bike and pumped two bullets in Gupta’s head, killing him instantly.
Earlier Gupta’s wife Sadhna had alleged her brothers Sneh and Dinesh Mittal could be behind the murder due to a property row.
“They had threatened to kill my husband over a property dispute and no one else could be behind the murder,” she said.
According to police, after the death last year of Madan Lal Mittal, the father-in-law of Gupta, the Gupta family and the Mittals were not on good terms.
“Madan Lal Mittal, whose property and bank balance is stated to be in billions, left a large chunk of it to his daughter Sadhna and her husband Arun Gupta, which probably led to strained relations between the Mittals and the Guptas. Madan Lal Mittal’s wife was trying to settle the property dispute,” said a senior police official.
“The two families had moved the high court, where the matter is being heard,” he added.
- Probe into Delhi businessman's murder widened - Apr 09, 2008
- No headway in Delhi businessman's murder probe - Apr 08, 2008
- Sketches of Delhi businessman's murder suspects released - Apr 10, 2008
- Delhi businessman shot dead, possibly over property - Apr 07, 2008
- Eatery owner stabbed to death after tiff over bill - Jan 12, 2012
- Delhi businessman's murder solved: police - Apr 14, 2008
- Delhi Police ex-official, two men held for murder - Sep 18, 2011
- Trader shot in Ghaziabad - Jul 13, 2010
- Police claim Delhi businessman's murder solved, questions remain - Apr 14, 2008
- Delhi lad killed for complaining over unpaid loan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Delhi shooting: Second assailant dies - Sep 11, 2012
- Cousin held for siblings' murder (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- No arrest in village headman killing - Jun 24, 2011
- Jeweller shot dead, looted of Rs.5 lakh - Dec 27, 2009
- Four held for selling fake, dud medicines - Jun 15, 2011