Wives of Andhra cops protest against officersAugust 5th, 2012 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 5 (IANS) Officers of the Andhra Pradesh Special Police (APSP) are facing the wrath of the wives of the constables over the denial of leave to their husbands and poor working conditions.
The protest, which began at Kondapur near Hyderabad Saturday, spread to some districts Sunday with women taking up cudgels on behalf of their husbands, who are allegedly overworked and being denied leave by their seniors. The women also alleged that their seniors were taking bribes to sanction leave.
Tension prevailed at APSP eighth battalion at Kondapur when the women protesting for the second consecutive day tried to attack APSP Inspector General A.B. Venkateshwar Rao.
The protestors threw footwear towards Rao, who allegedly introduced a new system recently under which the constables were required to work for 40 days in remote areas outside their battalion range. Raising slogans of ‘we want justice’, the women sat on the road.
They lodged their protest at Kondapur when APSP Director General Gautam Swang reached there to review the situation. They demanded that Home Minister Sabitha Indra Reddy should hear their grievance.
The women and children also came out to protest at the fifth battalion in Vijayanagaram district, the 11th battalion in Kadapa district and the 13th battalion in Adilabad district.
The officials held talks with protestors and reportedly agreed to withdraw the controversial order. However, no official announcement was made.
Meanwhile, the protests spread to other districts as women and children came out to confront the officials.
The protest began a few days ago when an eighth battalion constable Phani Kumar, who was sent to Rampachodavaram in East Godavari district, died of health problems after he was denied leave. However, the women came out on streets Saturday.
The women blamed battalion commandant Ramesh Naidu for the constable’s death. They alleged that Naidu was harassing the constables.
- Wives of Andhra cops call off protest - Aug 06, 2012
- Two students killed as cop's rifle misfires - Oct 20, 2010
- Naidu continues fast in hospital, condition deteriorates (Night Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Telangana activists stone Naidu's convoy - Sep 13, 2010
- Jealous youth kills dance winner - Jan 16, 2012
- Andhra MP, Telangana leaders arrested in Hyderabad - Sep 27, 2011
- Telangana protest reaches CM's office, strike continues - Sep 26, 2011
- TDP supporters protest Maharashtra's 'ill treatment' of leaders - Jul 20, 2010
- Chandrababu Naidu faces Telangana fury, 4 injured (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Telangana shutdown called for Monday - Oct 15, 2011
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Andhra college girl loses voice after ragging by seniors - Jul 22, 2012
- Andhra on high alert after Kishanji's killing - Nov 25, 2011
- Fasting Naidu arrested, Andhra rocked by TDP protests (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Andhra legislators roughed up in assembly (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, apsp, bribes, commandant, constable, constables, cudgels, east godavari, eighth battalion, fifth battalion, gautam, godavari district, grievance, home minister, naidu, phani, protestors, special police, swang, working conditions