With intelligence warning of terror attacks, Assam on high alertJanuary 19th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Jan 19 (IANS) A maximum security alert has been sounded in Assam with intelligence reports about terrorists trying to stage violent attacks in the run-up to Republic Day, officials said here Monday.A police spokesman said security forces have stepped up anti-insurgency operations with reports that the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) was planning to carry out violent strikes ahead of the Jan 26 celebrations.
“As always, the ULFA has been trying to carry out strikes in the lead up to Jan 26 and hence a massive security offensive and vigil is being carried out,” Assam police chief G.M. Srivastava told IANS.
In the past two weeks, security forces have killed seven ULFA militants in separate encounters, including two of them Sunday near Hajo, about 30 km west of Assam’s main city Guwahati.
“Militants of the ULFA’s 709 battalion have been trying to enter Guwahati and other towns ahead of Republic Day to create terror, but at the same time our security forces are on the job and hence been able to foil such attempts,” the police chief said.
In separate raids, security forces have managed to recover a huge cache of arms, ammunition and explosives, including 27 AK 56 assault rifles seized from a village home in eastern Assam over the weekend.
“The militants are definitely trying to smuggle weapons and explosives, but the good thing is that we are getting tremendous support and cooperation from the local people who are helping the security forces in thwarting all nefarious designs,” Srivastava said.
Militant groups in the northeastern states of Assam, Tripura and Manipur have for years boycotted national events to support various demands.
There are some 30 rebel groups operating in the region with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy and the right to self-determination. More than 50,000 people have lost their lives to insurgency in the northeast since India’s independence in 1947.
- Alert in Assam over ULFA strike threat - Jul 22, 2011
- Northeast defies I-Day boycott call - Aug 15, 2011
- Assam on alert after militant strikes (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Security alert in Assam to foil militant attacks - Mar 15, 2011
- Four explosives recovered, two held in Assam - Jan 25, 2012
- Three ULFA rebels, cop killed in Assam gunfight - Mar 15, 2011
- ULFA bomber held in Assam, security alert in northeast - Jan 25, 2010
- Security alert in Northeast as rebels call for boycott of R-Day - Jan 25, 2009
- Goods train bombed, bus attacked in Assam ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Bodo separatists planning terror strikes in Assam: police - Sep 20, 2010
- Militants gun down man in Assam - Aug 13, 2011
- Ten grenades found at Guwahati railway station - Aug 05, 2010
- Northeast defies rebels' R-Day boycott call (Lead) - Jan 26, 2010
- Securitymen hunt two ULFA bombers in Guwahati before R-Day - Jan 23, 2010
- Serial explosions in Manipur, bombs recovered in Assam (Lead) - Jan 25, 2010