Winning three overseas tours will prove our Test supremacy: SehwagJune 24th, 2011 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, June 24 (IANS) Virender Sehwag, who is working to get fit for the away series against England, says that World No.1 India can prove their supremacy in Test if they can win all the three overseas series this year.
India have been the number One Test side since December 2009. They have been able to beat teams in their own backyard and maintain the top spot. At the start of the year, India levelled the three-match away Test series against South Africa 1-1.
India are currently touring West Indies where they will play three Tests. After that India will tour England for four Tests and later this year, they will visit Australia for four Tests.
“If we can beat the West Indies, England and Australia (this year), we can prove that we really are the number one team,” Sehwag was quoted as saying during an interview with the ICC Cricket World Radio Show.
“We are maintaining this number-one position from the last one year or so. Reaching that number-one position is difficult and it is even more difficult to stay there for a longer time.”
Sehwag, who pulled out of the West Indies series because of a shoulder surgery, said it is recovering well.
“I am getting better and working hard on my rehabilitation. Hopefully, I will be back soon. I am trying very hard to be fit so that I can play during the England tour,” Sehwag said.
“It is very difficult when you are sitting at home and watching India playing against the West Indies. It’s very frustrating but you can’t do anything. It is because of the shoulder injury, I have to sit out and do my rehab.”
- Good team won us World Cup, not just captaincy: Sehwag - Jul 06, 2012
- England deserve to be No.1 Test team: ICC - Aug 13, 2011
- India have good chance of going past England in ODI rankings - Oct 12, 2011
- India's cricket reputation lies in tatters - Aug 14, 2011
- Yuvraj wants to establish himself in Tests with England series - Jul 07, 2011
- India will win in West Indies, but England will be tough: Ganguly - Jun 03, 2011
- Selectors have to take a call on Harbhajan - Oct 28, 2011
- Adams backs Sammy as Windies skipper - May 10, 2012
- Great chance for youngsters to perform, says Raina - May 31, 2011
- Rest required for Dhoni before Australia tour: Sourav - Oct 07, 2011
- Best looking to make most of his West Indies call-up - May 24, 2012
- Will Harbhajan be the 17th player for Oz tour? - Nov 25, 2011
- India may slip to fourth spot in ICC Test rankings - Mar 30, 2012
- Ashwin in Indian team, Harbhajan kept out - Oct 29, 2011
- Sammy says team work key in absence of big names - May 04, 2012
Tags: africa 1, australia, dubai, england tour, icc cricket world, India, june 24, match, own backyard, play three, radio show, rehab, shoulder injury, shoulder surgery, south africa, test series, test side, virender sehwag, west indies, world radio