Wing commander from Chadigarh among IAF plane crash victimsJune 11th, 2009 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 10 (IANS) Wing Commander G.S. Butalia, the 36-year-old son of a fighter pilot, from Chandigarh was among the 13 defence personnel who were killed in the crash of an Indian Air Force (IAF) transport plane in the northeast.
“We have got the confirmation that Wing Commander G.S. Butalia, who was a native of Chandigarh, died in the plane crash in Arunachal Pradesh,” defence spokesperson Pradeep Das Gupta told IANS late Wednesday.
“He was posted at Jorhat in Assam. His widowed mother, who has already flown to Jorhat, was living here at their residence in Sector 45. His father had also been a pilot with the IAF,” he stated.
Butalia lived with his wife and twin children in Jorhat.
The aircraft, on a routine air maintanence flight, went missing Tuesday. Its wreakage was recovered in Arunachal Pradesh Wednesday.
“It is a big loss for me as he was just like a brother for me. The news came to me both as a shock and as a surprise because the past record of AN-32 planes is excellent,” a colleague and close friend of Butalia, who did not wish to be named, told IANS from Bangalore over telephone.
“Butalia, who had put in 14 years of service, was a very hard working and adventurous officer. He was a qualified flying instructor and transport combat leader (TCL),” he said.
- New IAF vice chief, Eastern air commander take charge - Aug 01, 2011
- IAF AN-32 wreckage found in a village - Jun 10, 2009
- Yet another MiG-21 crashes, pilot bails out - Oct 07, 2011
- IAF commanders assess force levels - Oct 12, 2011
- MiG fighter crashes in Punjab, pilot safe (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- IAF loses another MiG-21, pilot safe (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- Air Marshal Kumaria is new IAF vice chief - May 30, 2012
- Medal for locating Arunachal CM's crashed chopper - Jan 26, 2012
- IAF to induct more fighters, radars in northeast - Jul 27, 2011
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- India's first military chopper pilot passes away - Jul 20, 2011
- Top officer survives IAF Mirage-2000 crash (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- MiG crash spot identified, snowfall hampers search - Oct 22, 2011
- Varthaman IAF's Eastern Air Command chief - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: arunachal pradesh, assam, bangalore, brother, colleague, combat leader, confirmation, defence spokesperson, fighter pilot, flying instructor, gupta, iaf, indian air force, jorhat, plane crash victims, planes, shock, surprise, transport plane, wing commander