Wine, beer doubles mouth cancer riskFebruary 5th, 2012 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 5 (IANS) Drinking two large glasses of wine or two strong pints of beer a day triples the risk of developing mouth cancer, Daily Mail reported Sunday.
Drinking over the recommended daily limit for alcohol increases the risk of serious health problems, according to a new government campaign.
Under the Change4Life banner the new adverts will also inform people about a new online calculator to work out how much they are drinking, the Mail said.
National Health Services (NHS) recommendations state men should not regularly drink more than three to four units a day, while women should not more than two to three.
Two million leaflets will be made available to Change4Life supporters and health professionals across England to get the message across, the newspaper said.
The campaign follows a survey of more than 2,000 people which found 85 percent do not realise drinking over recommended limits increases the risk of developing breast cancer.
Some 65 percent were unaware it increases the risk of bowel cancer, 63 percent did not know about a raised risk of pancreatitis and 59 percent had no idea excess drinking increases the risk of mouth, throat and neck cancer.
More than 30 percent did not realise that drinking just over the limits increases the risk of high blood pressure while 37 percent did not were unaware it can impact on fertility, the Mail said.
- Taking more than 2 alcoholic drinks daily 'increases cancer risk' - Apr 09, 2011
- UK wants to offer new cancer drugs before clearances - Dec 05, 2011
- Mouth bugs may double pancreatic cancer risks: Study - Sep 19, 2012
- Alcohol doesn't protect against cancer - Apr 01, 2010
- High-fibre diet cuts bowel cancer risk - Nov 12, 2011
- Cut red meat to lower cancer risk - Feb 26, 2011
- Lynch syndrome's mutated genes raise risk of cancers - Feb 15, 2012
- Mobile phone to keep track of your drink limits - Dec 01, 2009
- British hospitals ban caesareans in cost-cutting move - Aug 21, 2011
- Glass of fruit juice carries cancer risk - Sep 26, 2011
- Gene that increases pancreatic cancer risk identified - Dec 30, 2011
- Strict diet cuts risk of breast cancer - Oct 06, 2010
- 10 yrs in a desk job can double bowel cancer risk even if you go to the gym! - Apr 20, 2011
- Wine's role ambiguous in protecting heart - Jan 31, 2012
- Heavy drinking 'ups death risk from pancreatic cancer' - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: adverts, bowel cancer, breast cancer, cancer risk, daily mail, government campaign, health problems, health professionals, high blood pressure, leaflets, london feb, mouth cancer, national health services, neck cancer, online calculator, pancreatitis, pints, serious health, state men, wine beer