Windies pick rookies Mohammed, Narine for ODIs against IndiaNovember 17th, 2011 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
St.John’s (Antigua), Nov 17 (IANS/CMC) The West Indies selectors picked rookies Jason Mohammed and Sunil Narine in the 15-man squad for the five-match ODI series against India and left out leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo and fast bowler Fidel Edwards.
Darren Sammy will lead the side in the series that starts November 30 in Cuttack. Chris Gayle continued to miss out on selection, while Dwayne Bravo, who was dropped due to poor form for the Bangladesh tour, also misses out.
Jason is a top-order batsman while Sunil is an unconventional spinner. The Trinidadian duo have done well in the recent Regional Super50 limited-overs competition.
Jason won the Player of the Tournament honours in addition to the Richie Richardson Trophy after being the top scorer with 227 runs in five outings.
Sunil did well during the Champions League Twenty20 tournament in India where his mystery variations earned him 10 wickets. He also bagged the Curtly Ambrose Trophy after emerging as the top wicket-taker in the Super50.
“In the Super50 Jason showed maturity, guts and fight in the way he batted on some difficult pitches,” Robert Haynes, West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) selector, said. “He scored vital runs to pull his team out of difficult situations, scored the most runs in the tournament and as selectors we also thought that with the pitches in Guyana not being very different to the pitches in India and Jason having done so well on those types of surface, that it augured well for his selection to the ODI squad.”
Haynes also said that Narine’s steady progress over the past year earned him a spot.
“Sunil bowled well in the Indian conditions in Champions League for Trinidad and Tobago and then in the Super50 he was exceptional,” Haynes said. “Batsmen have difficulty reading him and we thought that he is deserving of his selection to show his worth against international batsmen.
“He is also a capable lower-order batsman who can give the team 30 to 40 runs and overall we are impressed with the way he approaches batting both for Trinidad and Tobago and in the recent West Indies A Team match in St Lucia.”
Squad: Darren Sammy (captain), Adrian Barath, Darren Bravo, Danza Hyatt, Anthony Martin, Jason Mohammed, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard, Kieran Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- Out-of-form Bravo released, Hyatt called up - Mar 29, 2012
- Deonarine named in Windies squad for first Test - Apr 05, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Former T&T; captain Daren Ganga dropped for domestic T20 - Dec 09, 2011
- Windies, Australia to size up in Beausejour after dramatic tie - Mar 23, 2012
- Sammy hails return of Gayle for ODIs - Jun 07, 2012
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Sammy plays down idea of second frontline spinner - Jul 25, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- Offie Sunil Narine in Dwayne Bravo captained West Indies A - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: batsman, chris gayle, difficult situations, dwayne bravo, fidel edwards, india st, man squad, narine, odi series, odi squad, odis, richie richardson, robert haynes, steady progress, top scorer, trinidad and tobago, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, wicb, wicket taker