William weds Kate (Lead)April 29th, 2011 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 29 (IANS) Prince William, second in line to the British throne, Friday married long-time girlfriend Kate Middleton at the historic Westminster Abbey, an event that was watched by nearly two billion TV viewers.
Prince William looked dashing in a red tunic with a blue sash, the uniform of an Irish Guards colonel - his most senior honorary appointment. The bride looked enchanting in a long Chantilly lace-sleeved gown with a train and a tiara borrowed from her grandmother-in-law Queen Elizabeth.
The lofty Westminster Abbey, which has seen history unfold over the centuries, reverberated to the sound of hymns. This was also the place of the funeral service of William’s mother Diana, Princess of Wales, on Sep 6, 1997. It has been the coronation church since 1066 and is the final resting place of 17 monarchs.
The Archbishop of Canterbury conducted the solemn wedding ceremony, a grand affair with 1,900 guests, including some 50 foreign heads of state.
Crowds had begun to gather in central London from early morning and thousands camped overnight to grab the best location to see the royal couple - an event that took many back 30 years to when William’s parents, Prince Charles and the late Diana, got married.
The marriage was the culmination of eight long and sometimes lonely years of waiting for Kate.
Unlike the Queen, who promised to obey Prince Philip when they married in 1947, Kate pledged only to ‘love, comfort, honour and keep’.
Prince William and Kate Middleton have now become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
As soon as the ceremony got over, celebrations broke out all over Britain with over 5,000 street parties, including one hosted by Prime Minister David Cameron at Downing Street.
- Kate weds in white Sarah Burton gown (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- All set for Will-Kat wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Wills, Kate's 'balcony kiss' key wedding moment! - Jan 06, 2011
- Prince William 'to wed Kate Middleton next August' - Aug 29, 2010
- Sarah Burton is the dress designer for Kate Middleton - Apr 29, 2011
- William - a prince, a pilot and a patron of charities - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designers - Apr 29, 2011
- Hairstylist reveals Kate's wedding 'hair do' secrets - May 01, 2011
- Westminster Abbey has a history that is 1,000 years old - Apr 28, 2011
- Kate may not pledge to 'obey' William - Mar 26, 2011
- Like Diana, Kate Middleton too may not pledge to 'obey' hubby - Mar 27, 2011
- Kate is vision in white - Apr 29, 2011
- Wills- Kat declared husband and wife - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Middleton to ride in Diana's carriage - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: archbishop of canterbury, chantilly lace, david cameron, diana princess of wales, duke and duchess, final resting place, girlfriend kate, grand affair, honorary appointment, irish guards, kate middleton, lonely years, prince philip, prince william, prince william and kate, prince william and kate middleton, princess of wales, time girlfriend, westminster abbey, william and kate