Will take up solicitor general issue with PM: Khurshid (Second Lead)July 13th, 2011 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 13 (IANS) Law Minister Salman Khurshid said Wednesday he would discuss the resignation of Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and take a decision after that.
He said he would take a “quick stock of the situation” over the country’s number two law officer who is upset after Communications Minister Kapil Sibal substituted him with another counsel in the 2G scam case.
“I will take up the issue with the prime minister. After receiving necessary directions, I hope to decide on the matter soon,” Khurshid told reporters.
Responding to a query on whether he would accept the resignation of Subramanium, Khurshid said he had an open mind and would study all the facts.
“I don’t come here with a made-up mind. In law, we are taught to have an open mind, to look at every fact and then take a decision,” Khurshid told reporters.
However, a “lot of water” had “already flown under the bridge before I came”, Khurshid said on his first day in the new job.
On Tuesday, when he was assigned the new portfolio, Khurshid hinted that he would talk to Subramanium, “but as a lawyer, I must say I have not received the brief”.
The new law minister, who succeeds M. Veerappa Moily, listed farmers’ land acquisition and the anti-corruption Lokpal bills as his top priorities.
“The land acquisition bill is of top priority,” said Khurshid, who was shifted to the law ministry.
He said the anti-graft Lokpal (ombudsman) bill was an equal priority for the government.
“The Lokpal bill is going to be important, a very high priority which we have promised to the country and other political parties. Together we have to bring an effective and strong Lokpal bill,” he said.
He also listed bills ensuring food security, curbing communal violence and judicial accountability as being important for the government.
- Decision on solicitor general's resignation soon: Salman Khurshid (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Land acquisition, Lokpal bills are priority: Khursheed - Jul 13, 2011
- Ministers assume charge, list priorities (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2011
- Jan Lokpal bill structured like tax department: Khurshid - Oct 18, 2011
- Talks between Team Anna, government inconclusive (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Pushing for constitutional Lokpal, reiterates Congress - Oct 12, 2011
- Cabinet to discuss Lokpal bill Tuesday, Hazare calls it worthless (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- Will be on Lokpal committee with open mind: Khurshid - Apr 13, 2011
- Lokpal bill in parliament by Wednesday: Bansal (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Anna issues ultimatum to Congress, battlelines drawn - Oct 05, 2011
- Citizen's charter should be under Lokpal: Anna Hazare - Dec 14, 2011
- Hazare slams corruption in Modi's Gujarat - May 26, 2011
- After Anna jibe, Pawar quits anti-graft panel (Lead) - Apr 06, 2011
- Anna Hazare plans fast unto death for strong Lokpal bil - Apr 04, 2011
- Anna Hazare to go on fast unto death over Lokpal Bill - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: anti graft, communal violence, food security, gopal, high priority, judicial accountability, kapil sibal, khurshid, land acquisition, law minister, law ministry, lot of water, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, scam case, subramanium, top priorities, top priority