Will Soren complete term as Jharkhand chief minister?August 25th, 2008 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 25 (IANS) As he prepares to rule Jharkhand again, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren will hope he does not land into trouble - as it has happened whenever he became minister or chief minister.Soren became a minister in the Manmohan Singh government in May 2004, but had to quit two months later as a warrant against him surfaced.
The warrant related to the killing of 11 people, including nine Muslims, at Chirudih in 1975. Soren went into hiding but had to surrender in the Jamtara district court following a Jharkhand government directive. He remained in jail for two months.
Guruji, as he is known among his supporters, was again given a berth in the central ministry in October 2004 but he quit in March 2005 to become chief minister of Jharkhand.
However, his luck ran out soon and he was forced to step down within 10 days as he failed to prove majority in the assembly.
Soren returned to the central cabinet in 2006. He also became chairperson of Jharkhand UPA when Madhu Koda became chief minister in September 2006.
However, he did not last long in the central government and was forced to resign in October 2006 after he was convicted and awarded life term for the murder of his personal secretary Shashinath Jha.
The Delhi High Court acquitted him in the Jha murder case in 2007. He also stands acquitted in the Chirudih massacre case. But there is one more murder case pending against him in the Giridih district court.
When Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reshuffled the cabinet earlier this year, JMM supporters wanted to see Soren back in the ministry but he was not inducted.
Soren’s next opportunity came when the Left parties withdrew support to the central government, reducing it to minority and necessitating a trust vote. In the confidence motion of July 22, JMM supported the Manmohan Singh government and soon Soren expressed his wish to become Jharkhand chief minister again.
With the Congress and the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) backing him and independent legislators making up the necessary number for majority, Soren should not have any trouble in completing the term till 2010.
But given his track record, his supporters will be keeping their fingers crossed.
- Soren cleared in third murder case, is a relieved man (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- Soren acquitted in third murder case, is a relieved man (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- Will luck favour Shibu Soren the third time? - Dec 27, 2009
- Shibu Soren - popular politician despite corruption, murder taints (Profile) - Dec 30, 2009
- Murder case trouble for Soren again, says will fight (Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- Lady luck deserts Soren once again - Jan 08, 2009
- Apex court admits petition against Soren's acquittal - Jul 26, 2010
- Shibu Soren sworn in as Jharkhand Chief Minister - Dec 30, 2009
- Shibu Soren unlikely to be inducted in union cabinet - May 25, 2009
- Raja second ex-minister to be arrested in 15 years - Feb 03, 2011
- Soren hogs limelight with controversies - May 19, 2010
- Kurko murder case: Soren appears before Giridih court - Feb 03, 2010
- Vote against cut motion was not a mistake: Soren - Jun 03, 2010
- Soren has a history of not quitting easily - May 04, 2010
- The BJP-JMM love, hate and love story in Jharkhand - Sep 07, 2010