Will go by Lokayukta on illegal mining, says BhardwajJuly 22nd, 2011 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 22 (IANS) Karnataka Governor H.R. Bhardwaj Friday said he would go by the recommendations of Lokayukta N. Santosh Hegde on illegal mining and emphasised that he was the only constitutional authority to take action against Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa.
The ombudsman’s report had not yet been given to the state government, Bhardwaj told reporters, adding that if he received it from a competent authority, he would act on it according to the Lokayukta Act.
“Justice Hegde is a competent man. Whatever he recommends, I will go according to it,” Bhardwaj said.
Yeddyurappa, mining barons and ministers the Reddy brothers, Janata Dal-Secular leader H.D. Kumaraswamy and Congress MP Anil Lad were named by the Lokayukta in his report on illegal mining, which was leaked before its release.
Hegde blamed Yeddyurappa and four of his ministers for illegal mining that has caused a Rs.1,827 crore loss to the exchequer in over a year.
Replying to a volley of questions about possible action against the chief minister, Bhardwaj said he would not like to comment till the report was submitted.
“All (of it) has to be studied,” Bhardwaj said, adding that he was the only constitutional authority to take action against the chief minister.
He said he would see what is written about the chief minister, ministers, legislators and MPs in the report.
- Karnataka governor to act on mining scam report (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- 'Governor to act swiftly if Yeddyurappa found guilty' - Jul 26, 2011
- 'Governor to act swiftly if Yeddyurappa found guilty' (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Yeddyurappa charged with graft, stares at trial (Evening Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- BJP has no right to lecture on corruption: Congress - Jul 22, 2011
- Congress demands action on Lokayukta phone tap - Jul 24, 2011
- Criminal involvement of Yeddyurappa in mining scam: Santosh Hegde (Interview) - Jul 24, 2011
- Double blow for Yeddyurappa: Faces illegal mining charge, court case (Roundup) - Jul 21, 2011
- An eventful Wednesday for Karnataka - Aug 03, 2011
- Hegde wants Yeddyurappa prosecuted for graft, BJP hit (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2011
- Ombudsman to act on governor's sanction against Yeddyurappa - Aug 09, 2011
- New Lokayukta to study probe report on mining scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Karnataka to act against 600 officials over illegal mining - Oct 28, 2011
- Focus shifts to Lokayukta's recommendation on Yeddyurappa - Jul 25, 2011
- Karnataka ombudsman sticks to charge against BJP leader - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: anil, barons, chief minister, competent authority, competent man, constitutional authority, emphasised, karnataka, kumaraswamy, lad, legislators, lokayukta, mp, mps, ombudsman, rs 1, santosh, secular leader, state government, volley