Will cooperate with CBI on probe into iron ore scam: ShettarSeptember 9th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Bellary (Karnataka), Sep 9 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar Sunday said his government will “fully cooperate” with CBI in its probe into massive illegal export of iron ore from the state which took place during his predecessor B.S. Yeddyurappa’s regime.
“We will fully co-operate with the CBI in the probe into the Belekeri iron ore scam,” Shettar, the third Bharatiya Janata Party leader to head the state after Yeddyurappa, told reporters in this iron-ore rich north Karnataka district, about 300 km from Bangalore.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the scam was ordered by Friday by the Supreme Court which slammed the Karnataka government for its failure to prevent illegal extraction and export of 50.7 lakh tonnes of iron ore from the state’s forest areas from January 2009 to May 2010.
The ore was exported from the small port of Belekeri in north Karnataka district of Uttara Kannada, about 450 km from Bangalore. The port is operated by the state government, unlike major ports which are administered by the central government.
The illegal export from the port was first brought to light in the middle of 2010 by the then Lokayukta N. Santosh Hegde, whose report on massive mining scam resulted in Yeddyurappa losing chief ministership in July last year.
The apex court directive for CBI probe followed recommendation of the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) set up by it to investigate illegal mining in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
In his report on illegal export from Belekeri, Hegde had said 77.38 lakh tonnes of iron ore was illegally exported between 2006-2007 and 2010-2011.
He had said that bribe was paid to facilitate illegal export. He found various forms of bribe payment: “Ship-wise fixed amount, an amount in proportion to quantity exported, month-wise fixed amount, lump sum amount at regular periods, amounts once in a while.”
- Illegal mining by Adani, Jindal group to be probed: Apex court - Nov 18, 2011
- Congress seeks CBI probe into iron ore export scam - Jul 06, 2010
- Murky goings on in Karnataka make India sit up (Letter From Bangalore) - Jul 14, 2010
- Hegde backs Yeddyurappa's plea to ban ore exports - Jul 03, 2010
- Largescale illegal mining in Karnataka: Chief minister - Jun 30, 2010
- Illegal Karnataka mining: SC tells panel to focus on convictions - Aug 23, 2012
- Apex court slams Karnataka on iron ore mining, orders CBI probe (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Criminal involvement of Yeddyurappa in mining scam: Santosh Hegde (Interview) - Jul 24, 2011
- Now CBI focuses on iron ore exports by Janardhana Reddy - Oct 27, 2011
- Gowda family involved in iron ore exports: BJP - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: apex court, bharatiya janata party, bribe, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, central government, chief minister, chief ministership, court directive, forest areas, illegal export, iron ore, kannada, karnataka government, lump sum, north karnataka, party leader, predecessor, regular periods, santosh