Wildlife smuggler Sansar Chand gets bailMay 31st, 2012 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) Wildlife smuggler Sansar Chand was granted bail by a Delhi court Thursday but he would remain in a jail in Rajasthan in connection with other cases.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain granted bail to Sansar Chand on a personal bond of Rs.25,000 and one surety of the same amount.
The bail was given in a case registered against him in June 2005 for violating the Wildlife (Protection) Act. He was arrested by police from Paharganj in central Delhi.
He was later taken into custody by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). He is facing trial in various cases and currently lodged in a Jaipur jail in Rajasthan for various wildlife related offences.
The probe agency in 2005 filed a charge sheet against him under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act, a first against any wildlife criminal.
He is an accused in numerous cases of poaching of tigers in the Sariska Tiger Reserve in Rajasthan.
- Supreme Court refuses to go easy on poacher - Oct 20, 2010
- Poacher Sansar Chand faces apex court's wrath - Oct 04, 2010
- Apex court dismisses poacher Sansar Chand's appeal - Oct 20, 2010
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- Panther poaching in Sariska has Rajasthan worried, probe ordered - Mar 09, 2012
- Sariska area villagers protest relocation - Mar 31, 2012
- Three more tigers for Sariska - Aug 02, 2012
- Wildlife activists shocked at jail suspension of Sansar Chand - Sep 25, 2009
- Sariska to get two Ranthambore tiger cubs - Jul 29, 2011
- Sariska villagers protest relocation - May 16, 2012
- Sariska tiger died of poisoning: Minister - Dec 04, 2010
- Salman told to appear in court in poaching case - Aug 09, 2011
- Wildlife trader gets six-year jail - Aug 25, 2010
- Cat and mouse game over Rajasthan's tigers - Jun 29, 2011
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, central delhi, crime act, delhi court, New Delhi, paharganj, personal bond, rajasthan, sariska tiger reserve, sessions, smuggler, surety, tiger, tigers, wildlife protection act