Wildfire rages on Spanish island of IbizaMay 27th, 2011 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Palma de Mallorca (Spain), May 27 (IANS/EFE) A wildfire on the Mediterranean island of Ibiza has scorched some 1,500 hectares of pine forest and prompted the evacuation of 80 homes and a school, said Spanish officials Thursday.
A 50-year-old man accused of having accidentally started the blaze was turned over to prosecutors.
The biggest wildfire ever in the popular vacation destination began from a spark that fell to the ground as the man, identified only as M.C.C., was using a smoker to blow smoke into a beehive.
M.C.C. did not notice the spark and returned to his home, Spanish police said.
The “very active” fire is advancing in the direction of the coastal town of Portinatx, authorities said.
Fighting the blaze are some 300 people on the ground, supported by eight airplanes and seven helicopters.
A fire that raged for 12 days in Ibiza last August scorched 375 hectares and forced the evacuation of more than 1,500 people.
- Wildfire near US nuclear laboratory spreads - Jun 30, 2011
- Plane crashes while fighting Argentina forest fire - Jan 05, 2012
- Spanish soccer coach is dead - Jun 08, 2012
- Fire burns down Brazilian national park - Sep 21, 2010
- Spanish king's son-in-law a suspect in corruption case - Dec 30, 2011
- Wildfire destroys hundreds of homes in Texas - Sep 06, 2011
- Emergency declared in Russia as wildfires kill 12 - Jul 31, 2010
- Spain not expecting a wave of migrants from Libya - Feb 26, 2011
- Pine needles fuel business for Himachal villagers - Jul 05, 2012
- Belgian car thieves, victims meet on Spanish beach - Sep 30, 2011
- Hundreds evacuated in Chile forest fire - Jan 03, 2012
- 1,300 homes destroyed in Texas wildfire - Sep 09, 2011
- Forest fires destroy 14,000 acres in Chile - Dec 15, 2010
- Spain's policy will create jobs: Germany - Jul 23, 2012
- Texas battles new wildfires as extreme drought continues - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: airplanes, authorities, beehive, blaze, coastal town, efe, hectares, helicopters, mediterranean island, old man, palma de mallorca, palma de mallorca spain, pine forest, prosecutors, rages, spanish island, spanish officials, spanish police, using a smoker, vacation destination