Wild jumbos smash school building, scare childrenDecember 5th, 2008 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Valparai (Tamil Nadu) Dec 5 (IANS) Schoolchildren in a town in Tamil Nadu were scared out of their wits when a herd of eight wild elephants entered their school and smashed property Friday, officials said. Besides leaving behind a trail of destruction, the elephants also consumed the stored rice.
Though the elephants retreated into the forest by themselves without injuring anyone, parents of the shaken children expressed anger and demanded action.
“We ought to have electric fences to prevent the entry of wild animals. We have zero insurance for such catastrophes and have no clue about our children’s immediate future or safety,” S. Kanagambaram, 32, mother of a schoolboy, told IANS.
Forest Range Officer G. Siva Mani, however, told IANS: “The animals have as much a right on earth as humans. Since some 60 percent of wild habitat has been encroached upon since 1929, where would the animals go for food? Further, this is a rare occurrence. The harmless animals merely sought food. One cannot blame animals for human errors of occupying exclusive animal territory.”
Valparai is some 500 km southwest of state capital Chennai at an altitude of 3,914 feet.
- Mysore's rogue tuskers whisked away to Bandipur forest - Jun 09, 2011
- Woman trampled to death by elephants - Jul 22, 2010
- Elephants wreak havoc in Siliguri's tea garden - Dec 04, 2010
- Five-year-old elephant calf captured in Coonoor - Aug 14, 2009
- Jumbos give Chhattisgarh villagers sleepless nights - Dec 20, 2010
- Assam villagers poisoning elephants to prevent attacks - Oct 14, 2010
- Wildlife guard killed by elephant - Jan 11, 2012
- Young techie trampled to death by tuskers near Bangalore - Jul 17, 2012
- "People For Animals" stop trains to protest against animals' killings in Dooars forest region - Jun 05, 2010
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Assam villagers terrorised by wild elephants - Dec 19, 2009
- Wild tuskers rampage through Chhattisgarh villages, cause panic - Jun 27, 2012
- Jharkhand's anti-Maoist push drives tuskers wild - Sep 16, 2011
- Toll reaches 13 as elephants continue Nepal ravage - Dec 18, 2009
- Herd of wild jumbos kill two in Jharkhand - Jan 04, 2011