Wild jumbos kill 23 in 10 months in ChhattisgarhFebruary 11th, 2009 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 11 (IANS) Wild elephants trampled 23 people to death and demolished 775 houses in Chhattisgarh’s forest areas in the last 10 months, the state assembly was told Wednesday.
Forest Minister Vikram Usendi said the government has paid Rs.34.50 lakh (Rs.3.45 million) compensation amount to victims’ families and Rs.23.43 lakh (Rs.2.34 million) to those whose houses were brought down by rampaging jumbos.
The minister said the government had also paid a little over Rs.10 million to 8,129 people whose standing crops were destroyed during this fiscal by wild elephants.
He said the state’s six districts - Surguja, Koria, Jashpur, Raigarh, Korba and Mahasamund - are hit by the jumbo menace.
- Jumbo-menaced Chhattisgarh to get two elephant reserves - Feb 19, 2009
- Jumbos kill 116 in Chhattisgarh in five years - Mar 01, 2011
- Elephants killed six in Chhattisgarh in 2010 - Dec 08, 2010
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Elephants kill 29 people in Chhattisgarh in 2009 - Jan 14, 2010
- Government hikes compensation amid elephant menace - Jun 29, 2010
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
- Chhattisgarh minister on tour to tackle man-elephant conflict - Nov 17, 2010
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- 7,028 jumbo attacks in Chhattisgarh in 7 months - Sep 09, 2011
- Jumbos create havoc in Chhattisgarh village - Feb 02, 2010
- Chhattisgarh village panics as jumbos run amok - Feb 18, 2010
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Jumbos' terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribals - Sep 26, 2011