Wild elephants enter Chhattisgarh village, tribals seek helpFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 2 (IANS) A herd of wild elephants entered a forested village in Chhattisgarh early Monday and frightened tribals have now sought urgent help from forest department officials to drive the animals away before they cause any harm, officials said.The nine elephants that have entered Labji village, some 400 km from here, have demolished dozens of houses in the past week in different villages of the state’s northern Surguja district, a forest official said.
A forest official said his department would provide full cooperation to the villagers. The tribals say they will migrate to safer areas if immediate assistance is not offered to them.
Dozens of villages in Surguja, Jashpur, Koria, Korba and Raigarh districts in northern Chhattisgarh have been affected by elephant attacks for more than a decade.
Attacks on humans by elephants have increased since 2005 and dozens of people have been killed. Officials said encroachment by people into the elephant habitat has caused more conflicts.
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Jumbos' terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribals - Sep 26, 2011
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Jumbos give Chhattisgarh villagers sleepless nights - Dec 20, 2010
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Chhattisgarh village panics as jumbos run amok - Feb 18, 2010
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Jumbos create havoc in Chhattisgarh village - Feb 02, 2010
- Wild elephants trample man to death - Jan 05, 2010
- Angry villagers block road as jumbos run amok - Jun 28, 2010
- Man-elephant conflict: Chhattisgarh plans experts' panel - Dec 17, 2010
- Wild elephants attack Chhattisgarh village, tribals flee - Nov 15, 2009