Wild elephant kills Chinese manNovember 7th, 2011 - 10:14 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 7 (IANS) A villager was killed by a wild Asian elephant in a southwest Chinese province, officials said.
The incident took place in Xishuangbanna Dai autonomous prefecture in Yunnan province, Xinhua reported.
Police confirmed that the death of Cao Xiaoer, a resident of Xinshan village in the prefecture, was caused by a wild elephant.
Cao’s family said he went to gather herbs Friday afternoon and did not return. His body was found Saturday.
Cao’s back had blood stains and there were wounds to his head, chest and legs that indicated he had been trampled upon. On the ground, fresh footprints and dung of elephants were found, police said.
There are around 250 wild elephants in the rainforests of Xishuangbanna. This comprises about 90 percent of China’s wild elephant population. Since 1991, wild elephants in Xishuangbanna have attacked more than 140 people.
- Two killed by jumbos in Jharkhand - Jan 23, 2011
- Quake hits China, damages 678 homes - Feb 02, 2011
- 17 dead, 44 missing in China landslides (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Wild elephants trample man to death in Jharkhand - Dec 03, 2010
- Chinese region eyes 15 mn tourists by 2015 - Jun 27, 2012
- Woman, son killed in tusker attack in Jharkhand - Nov 17, 2010
- 1,704-meter-long noodle from China is world's longest - Mar 14, 2011
- 67 people declared missing in mudslide hit Chinese province - Aug 18, 2010
- Tibetan nun sets herself on fire in China, dies - Nov 03, 2011
- Woman trampled to death by elephants - Jul 22, 2010
- Over 20 held in China drug bust - Mar 15, 2012
- China launches probe into missing teenagers - May 24, 2012
- Wildlife guard killed by elephant - Jan 11, 2012
- Young techie trampled to death by tuskers near Bangalore - Jul 17, 2012
- Strong quake rocks China-Myanmar border region, casualties unknown - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: asian elephant, beijing, blood stains, cao, chinese man, chinese province, dung, elephant, elephant population, footprints, friday afternoon, herbs, prefecture, rainforests, villager, wild elephants, wounds, xinhua, xishuangbanna dai, yunnan province