Wife of man held in Spain wants help from PMApril 10th, 2008 - 2:22 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) The wife of a Mumbai resident detained in Spain for alleged terror links since Jan 19 is desperately trying to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to request him to seek the release of her husband who she claims is innocent. “My husband is innocent and I want to meet the prime minister to seek his help,” Farida told IANS over telephone from Mumbai.
Roshan Jamal Khan, 50, is the only Indian among the 10 people arrested for allegedly planning an Islamist suicide terror attack on Barcelona’s public transport system. A Barcelona judge had ordered their “unconditional imprisonment”.
Originally, 14 people were arrested. Four of them, including another Indian Sarfrosh Ali, were later released.
Farida came to know about the arrest after she was unable to contact her husband for a long time.
“We have been trying to meet Manomhan Singh to put forward our case but we need an appointment for that,” Farida said.
A mother of six, she has already met Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh. “He has assured me of every possible help,” she said.
Farida’s resolve to fight for husband’s release has strengthened after speaking to him Monday. It was the first time he had been allowed to telephone his family since his arrest.
“During the four minute phone call he inquired about our children. He said he was innocent and was not facing any problems. But he was made to sign on some blank papers,” Farida said.
Roshan’s brother Mehboob Khan said: “We have been writing to the ministry of external affairs, the ministry of overseas Indian affairs and the Prime Minister’s Office to permit us to go there to get him out of prison.”
According to him, Roshan went to Spain in September 2007 to trade in olive oil.
- Family of Indian jailed in Spain to move European court - Mar 29, 2012
- Spain reduces jail term of Indian terror accused - Jan 19, 2011
- Parents of Indian jailed in Spain die in Mumbai - Sep 30, 2011
- Indian jailed in Spain for terror plot, family claims innocence (Lead) - Dec 17, 2009
- Indian among 11 jailed in Spain for terror offences - Dec 17, 2009
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Terror suspect engineer's wife seeks fast track trial - Jul 01, 2012
- Terror suspects families cry foul over arrests - Aug 31, 2012
- Missing engineer's mother asks PM to help trace son - Jun 18, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Hyderabad student's family says he is innocent - Sep 01, 2012
- Maoist killing of policeman shocks Jharkhand (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Cop Lucas Tete belonged to poor Jharkhand tribal family - Sep 03, 2010
- Trinidad and Tobago, India to celebrate I-Day jointly - Aug 10, 2012
- Spain seeks to ride success of "Zindagi Na.." to attract Indians - Jul 24, 2011