Wife-beating row: India assures thorough probeJanuary 18th, 2011 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 18 (IANS) India Tuesday said domestic violence allegations against chief trade diplomat in Britain Anil Verma will be thoroughly investigated after he returns and action will be taken according to the laws of the land.”Once the officer is back, the matter will be thoroughly investigated,” spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs Vishnu Prakash told mediapersons here.
Action will be taken according to the law of the land, he said.
Verma, the third senior-most Indian diplomat and minister (economic) at the Indian High Commission in Britain, had reportedly sought immunity from prosecution after being questioned by British police over claims that he assaulted his wife in December last year.
Verma’s wife accused him of beating her and went into a hiding with her five-year-old child, fearing for her safety. After moving out of Verma’s official residence in London, she moved an application seeking permission to stay back in Britain on humanitarian grounds.
- Tainted diplomat will be probed under Indian law, UK told (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Recalled diplomat to be probed as per Indian law, UK told (Second Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Punish diplomat for wife-beating: Tirath - Jan 18, 2011
- Indian Govt. says action against wife-beating diplomat will be taken as per law - Jan 18, 2011
- Indian diplomat accused of wife-beating recalled - Jan 16, 2011
- Wife-beating row: Indian diplomat in Britain transferred (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian diplomat's wife in hiding in Britain? - Jan 16, 2011
- Disgraced diplomat may face tough time: Lawyers - Jan 17, 2011
- Beaten Indian diplomat's wife goes into hiding with son over fears for safety - Jan 16, 2011
- Indian diplomat in Britain claims immunity on wife-beating charge - Jan 09, 2011
- Wife-beating: India hopes diplomat's recall will end immunity row - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian diplomat accused of wife-beating to be transferred from London - Jan 16, 2011
- Wife 'beaten' by Indian diplomat immune from prosecution hides in fear - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian in UK claims diplomatic immunity to escape prosecution for 'attack' on wife - Jan 09, 2011
- India assures action against diplomat for flight incident (Second Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: anil verma, british police, domestic violence allegations, humanitarian grounds, immunity from prosecution, India, indian diplomat, indian high commission, ministry of external affairs, New Delhi, residence in london, spokesperson, wife beating