Widow ‘gang-raped’ by train robbers in BengalFebruary 26th, 2012 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Katwa (West Bengal), Feb 26 (IANS) A middle-aged woman was allegedly raped by a gang of robbers after she tried to confront them during a robbery attempt in a suburban train near Katwa in Burdwan district, police said Sunday.
“We have received a report of robbery and an alleged rape in a local train. Senior railway and police officers are on their way to the crime site. Details can be said only after reaching the spot,” Director General of police (Railways) Dilip Mitra said.
The incident occurred Saturday evening when the Ahmedpur-Katwa narrow gauge local train was near Katwa. A gang of five armed men forced the train to a halt and started to loot the passengers. When the victim — a widow — tried to put up resistance, she was dragged out of the train and gang-raped.
“She was raped because she tried to confront the robbers. Other women who raised a protest were beaten up,” said a relative of the victim.
The woman has been sent to a government hospital for medical checkup.
Several woman organisations protested in front of the railway officials at Katwa demanding increased security for women commuters.
No arrest has been made so far in the case.
The incident at Katwa is the third instance of rape in the state within a short span of time.
The first was the alleged rape of an Anglo-Indian woman in the heart of Kolkata-Park Street which had taken a political colour following “insensitive” remarks by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
In the second instance, a middle-aged female rag-picker was allegedly gang-raped and then murdered by a truck driver and his helper in North 24 Parganas’ Baranagar on Feb 24.
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute - Feb 29, 2012
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Mamata terms another rape incident fake - Feb 28, 2012
- Two arrested for Katwa rape - Mar 03, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Three sent to judicial custody - Mar 03, 2012
- Narayanan asks media not to sensationalise rape cases - Mar 01, 2012
- India's shame: More violence against women - Feb 08, 2011
- Woman gangraped, dies in Ranchi hospital - Apr 23, 2012
- Haryana university student alleges gang-rape - May 18, 2012
- Mamata rule disappoints many women (One year of Mamata Banerjee) - May 18, 2012
- NCW members to visit Kolkata April 2 - Mar 31, 2012
- Visit not to pressurise Bengal government: Rights body - Apr 03, 2012
- 10 held for gang-raping woman in Bengal - Sep 11, 2012
- Kolkata woman who alleged gangrape does volte face - Aug 14, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Police custody for three accused till March 3 - Feb 19, 2012